How to Make an Income from plasma cutting?

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
shiver
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

How to Make an Income from plasma cutting?

Post by shiver »

Hi all,

So, we've had our table for a couple months now. Starting to get the hang of it, yet still a learning process for sure. And, yes, we've wasted a good share of metal in the process. We've mainly made some art pieces for us, friends and family. Team logos. I need to expand on how to generate a regular monthly income from this.

Would any of you care to share on what has been successful for you? Are you cutting mainly metal art? If so, what have you found to be your most sought after pieces?

Are you cutting parts for various clients? If so, how do you find companies who need parts cut for them? How do you price/bid on that type of work?

I'm no expert but, I know CorelDraw quite well from doing t shirt and vinyl graphics. Things are a little different with metal, but I'm getting the hang of that too.

Thank you for any advice you care to share. Much appreciated.

Vicki
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: How to Make an Income from plasma cutting?

Post by vmax549 »

First thing to remember is that ALL team logos and any copyrighted or trademarked images are off limits to you IF you do not have permission to use them. MOST trademarkeds item are aggressivily protected and they WILL find you sooner or later (;-). There are companies that do NOTHING else but look for violators of the professional teams and college teams trademarked images.

So how do you make a million bucks with plasma cutting, easy start with 2 million. There is a very large market area for metal arts and commercial cutting BUT there are also a large number of companies already doing it local ,national and foreign. Try to find a niche market and get with it. THey are out their you just have to look for them.

(;-) TP
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

If your skillset is good with CAD, then I suggest prototyping/producing one-off parts.

A good industry is anything in motorpsorts where modifications are involved whether it's beefing up or making things lighter, there's going to be metal pieces that are custom or can be made custom for these customers with decent profits.

I have had started to get good traction with three very different types of customers, but all three are in business for themselves and not end users, so they appreciate customer service and the skills/value of this business.
I am already seeing the seeds of these customer expand organically through word of mouth and every new project adds to my "toolbox" in all areas of the business which I shamelessly promote to each and every potential customer I meet.

I still do the other artistic stuff, but it's really important to keep working on diversification and following the most profitable aspects of this business which frankly is design, not cutting metal.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
poppopsworkshop
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by poppopsworkshop »

I make mine at craft shows and a few reality companies. I'm still new to the site and having a hard time posting pictures. But here's what I'm happy to relay. I get my plasma table 10/12/2015. For now I have a friend cutting my designs. I do 4 craft shows a year for a gross of $ 12,000. My meat and potatoes is my realitors. My clock making for house warming gifts grows every year. last year I made 453 clocks and sold them for $ 65.00 each......do the math, great $$$. But most of the profits is going out the door to plasma cutting and powder coating. When I get set up I'll be able to keep the profits here. Do you know any reatitors? If so, make a clock for them and show your talent. All the realitor I know give out gifts and it should be yours. In the spring I also do a " yard art sale" at my house. Check out my web site on some of my creations. I'm happy to help out friend !!!!

poppopsworkshop.org

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”