My first real Sales

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

My first real Sales

Post by Capstone »

Other than my patient and supportive wife, you guys (and ladies) really do keep me motivated to learn new things and work smarter and harder on this hobby/business. So I just wanted to share that I actually sold some pieces, as "art" that were on display at a restaurant that I bartered some wallspace with. It took a few weeks, but I got a call this afternoon from the owner to say he was "re-loading" the wall for five different items. This may not be too exciting for some, but I was super stoked. 4 of the 5 items featured stuff I designed from scratch, then cut and finished myself, so my ego is fully loaded. :D

I am convinced of one thing that definitely made a difference; using of Art Gallery-like price tags. I had about 20 pieces hung on one wall and had some advertising slips made to go with the bills to let people know about the items being for sale, but had no luck until I added the gallery placards right next to the pieces just last week. I feel things moving in the right direction and just wanted to share some of my excitement.
cnd_wall cropped.jpg
Thanks again for all the great advice and info!

Phil

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by Capstone on Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: My first real Sales

Post by AnotherDano »

Congratulations, Capstone!

Feels real good to break through the ice and find $$$, doesn't it?
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Good stuff,,,well done!
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
sr guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by sr guy »

Congrats I ordered my table so I'm nervous about getting things going. It's good to see others with motivation going forward.
dekoch
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by dekoch »

Congrats on the sales....I'm on a start to adding art and custom metal works to my sheet metal company. We have always done custom stainless, aluminum, steel, etc. for commercial and industrial companies. The new upgrade to our plasma machine has opened up a new world and though heck lets make something unique. I have sold some items to current customers and friends but not to much to the public. So how do you all decide what will sale? Luckily I have a current customer that fell in love with my fire pit (which I downloaded from this site) and that is what kind of started more. She owns a antique store in a old River Town that draws in a lot of tourist, so I hope this will help grow and sale.

**I also would like to say that this site is amazing and there are some very talented individuals on here. Metal is my life and I love to see others with the same passion come up with such unique and brilliant ideas.

Damian
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

I think diversity is key. Learning how to do all the different processes is tough, but important to people that want success. The ability to design new items from scratch is first and foremost in my mind although I am sure there are folks here that would say that they've had success just by copying what others have done and sticking with the cutting and finish aspects. I am torn between the artistic and business side constantly. Making things I like and hoping what others will buy is risky, but I may lose all of those customers that want custom pieces. I'm juggling a lot of disciplines but it keeps my interest high and the boredom low.

No one does this by themselves; they seek out advice and hopefully pass some along too.

Here are just a few things I have never studied in a formal setting but are now all areas that I'm now pretty much forced to learn in some capacity in order to be successful...

Mechanical Engineering and Design
Graphic Design
Welding
Powder Coating
Computer Aided Design
Computer Aided Milling
Marketing
Business Fundamentals
Accounting
Advertising
Software Trouble Shooting
Automotive Painting
Pneumatics

Whew...
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
dekoch
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by dekoch »

Yup..It's always fun to wear all of these different hats (Job Titles) and than add more to it. Makes the day go by way to fast.

Damian
Craig
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Craig »

Congrats Phil, great way to get exposure. Craig Johnson
Craig Johnson
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

Congrats!!!! I stink at advertizing and it shows.. If you can get it out there it will sell..
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Thanks everyone for the replies. Seems like many of us are one-man-shops and it's easy to get bogged down with all the different challenges. Just a little validation every so often goes a long way to motivate me.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
poppopsworkshop
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by poppopsworkshop »

Way to go ! I have just forked out some $$$ on a 2x4 table. I'm expanding from wrought iron and copper products into plasma art. I want to start making my own signs and install them in to my wrought iron frames. I love your turtles, where did you get the design ?
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

poppopsworkshop wrote:Way to go ! I have just forked out some $$$ on a 2x4 table. I'm expanding from wrought iron and copper products into plasma art. I want to start making my own signs and install them in to my wrought iron frames. I love your turtles, where did you get the design ?
I designed the bale of sea turtles myself using a stock silhouette of a single turtle, I re-sized it into multiples to create depth, then added in the shell/flipper details.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
poppopsworkshop
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by poppopsworkshop »

Thanks, I'll try that