HA HA

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
jakedog
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

HA HA

Post by jakedog »

A guy asked me last night if I could make these for him to sell at his booth. He asked if I could them for $15 raw steel or $18 painted....they are about 15" tall each... he wanted 5 of them

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: HA HA

Post by vmax549 »

OK so what is your point ???

(;-) TP
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Yea....I think I woulda laughed too. Let me guess.....1/4" plate thickness?
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

haha is what i would say to.
Say I could fit 3 of them on my small 2x2 table. I pay about $20 a sheet for 14g steel. $5 for a few flap wheels, call it $5 in consumables. There is no money to be made there plus the design and setup.
So $45 for 3 pieces minus $20 -$5 - $5 = :lol:
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

HUM, lets see. That would be 16ga Hr @ .0108 per Sq" and the material size is 161 Sq" so that is $1.73 material cost. There are 10 pierces @ .01 each than is a whopping $0.10 . Machine time( $100 per hr) is 135 cut inches/120 IPM = 1.04 minutes so that is 62.4 seconds @ $0.0277 per sec = $1.74 each.

HUM, that is 1.74 + .10 + 1.73 = $3.74

It took exactly 5 minutes to convert that image to a cut file ready to cut( I just did it here) that would be a one time charge ( $35 per hr) of $2.91 for art work. or .58 each for 5 or .29 each for 10.

That would take at most about 5 min to dress up and shoot a coat of rattle can flat black paint on. At $50 per hour shop time that would be about $4.50

SO 3.74 + 4.50 = $ 8.24 to produce the part AND that is at full price on machine time and shop labor time.

15.00 - 8.24 = $6.76 profit each

I would counter with SURE I can do it IF you buy 10 at a time (;-) Remember he is a retailer you are the wholesaler . He may very well turn out to be a very good wholesale customer that buys Quantity parts and pays cash (even better).BUT even if he does NOT you almost doubled your investment in his parts.

AND you ARE right I would laugh too, all the way to the bank (;-)

Just a thought, (;-) TP
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

damn you are good. I'd have to draw that from scratch. I'm not so good with inkscape and not sure how you do the conversion so quickly.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
jakedog
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jakedog »

gamble wrote:haha is what i would say to.
Say I could fit 3 of them on my small 2x2 table. I pay about $20 a sheet for 14g steel. $5 for a few flap wheels, call it $5 in consumables. There is no money to be made there plus the design and setup.
So $45 for 3 pieces minus $20 -$5 - $5 = :lol:
this is about what I cam up with. He only wants 5 for the rest of the year.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

Personally, I would have cut them, especially if he paid cash. I would prob stick him for a $20 cad fee (one time only) and cut them, from 14g at those prices all day long, especially if he wasn't in a hurry and I could fit them in where I had room on a sheet. Of course I can fit more in on a 5x10 table and have less waste than on a 2x2, and I TRY to get a sheet 80% full before I cut. I will fill the rest with whatever and burn it all at once. Hard to turn down that money when I won't have 10 min in cutting and cleaning them, and as was mentioned before rattle can them. My kids would handle that. I would say for free, but I feed them and stuff, well, the business feeds us all and they know that. If you would really use $5 for abrasives and $5 in consumables on those 5 small pieces, you are doing something (or several things) wrong. If you were being cheeky I get that too. Different strokes for different folks, but I see that as dinner tonight AND tomorrow night, for prob $15 or MAYBE $20 out of my pocket. If I can spend 10 min and turn $20 into $90, I am all in. I see that as an opportunity, not only to eat but also for return business, grow my market share, etc. $90 today, could be $1000 next week, or month etc. Maybe it's a trial run, see what your quality is, how you handle your business. Maybe he was looking for something for free. Don't know, but I do know sometimes you have to read between the lines, and look farther down the road than the next cold beer. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Be safe
Shane
jakedog
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jakedog »

yes its tough on a 2x2 table a lot more waste. 15" on a 24" x 24" piece how can you fit more than one on there???
This whole entire process is new to me, I haven't even sold one piece yet. Just getting setting up and fixing problems and playing around making personal stuff
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

jakedog wrote:yes its tough on a 2x2 table a lot more waste. 15" on a 24" x 24" piece how can you fit more than one on there???
This whole entire process is new to me, I haven't even sold one piece yet. Just getting setting up and fixing problems and playing around making personal stuff
The main issue with smaller tables is the cost of material is higher. Unless you buy a full sheet and cut it down but I don't have a way to transport it so I just order it sheared to size
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

Here is where communication is an asset. COULD he have used them IF they were 12" instead of about 15" . IF not that extra material could have been used to do a word saying that is SHORT in height but long in length. Waste is only WASTE if you never try to use it up. Turning what might be waste into cash is a good profit margin around here. By the time we are done with a sheet there is very little left to throw away.Small trinkets can be a great freebie give away to customers or to vendors as a bonus for doing business with you. Very low in cost but can be very high in returned value.

(;-) TP

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”