Return custom order?

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Return custom order?

Post by wickedinhere »

I have a customer that didn't like the fact that a monogram I and J looks kinda the same in a piece that i made for her. My website clearly stated no returns, she says she didn't see it. I was gonna help her out but she said that her boss and other employees are waiting to order until they see how this turns out. I call BS and don't take to kindly to this type of tactics.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Return custom order?

Post by Shane Warnick »

I guess as a starting point, did the customer approve a proof before the piece was made? If so, it's hers. I would offer to make her a replacement at a discount (which would be my cost to produce and ship the item to her) just as a good business practice, but only if she approved a proof before it was made. As far as a return, nope, don't want it back. It's yours, you approved the proof, and paid for it. I have plenty of stuff laying around as it is.

If she did not approve a proof, and you do not furnish a proof to a customer on custom work before producing it, how can you expect them to be satisfied if they are paying for you to make them something that you think is what they want?

I am not talking about someone ordering a piece that has no changes in design, only color (make me one of these just like this picture, but blue please not black), but more along the lines just as you describe. Even if you have the full monogram alphabet on the page where they order, if one is large and the other two are small, and you are arranging them into a custom design, I think it warrants a proof.

Just my opinion, but if you are (and by no means am I saying you are, but IF you are) doing custom work and not getting approval prior to production, that is a poor business practice and will only lead to dissatisfied customers, this one and more in the future. If this is the case, I think if it was mine to do, I would re-evaluate my process, make changes and improvements, and make it right for this customer. It doesn't sound like she ordered a $2000 custom gate or some such, and my guess is you aren't going to be out more than $50-$100 to make it right. Not knowing what it was exactly it's hard to say, but I would almost think shipping would be the biggest expense on getting her another one.

As far as not taking kindly to her tactics, she could be telling the truth. Or, she could be attempting to manipulate you into rectifying her situation to her satisfaction, and I don't know about you, but I don't meet many people that don't manipulate their environment and those in it to achieve their goals on a daily basis. Whether that's haggling over pricing or a return, we all do it.

Even if I cut it without approval, I wouldn't ask for it back. I would tell her keep it, give it away, throw it away, whatever. She will prob hang that one in the bathroom instead of the wall in the den, but who cares. I doubt it's your monogram too, and doubt you want to pay return postage.

Again, I think if you take custom orders you have an obligation to the customer to get approval on design etc before production. As stated above, if she approved a drawing and proof, I would explain to her that if you pick a paint color, and have a painter come paint your house, then decide you don't like it, he will repaint it. It will not, however, be on his dime, since you said go ahead, I like this one, make it happen.

I always get written approval on a proof, usually in an email, before I cut, just so this isn't an issue. I have had customers that asked for stuff to be remade, and they all had no choice but to agree that they approved the proof. If it's something really small, I will usually do it at cost the second time around and just tell them I gave them a discount due to the issues and in the interest of customer satisfaction. If it's big, I give them 10-15% off and still make some money. They all leave satisfied, and I would say 60-70% of them are return customers, and I will make far more profit off the return business than I gave up on the remake, and almost always they send 1-2 people my way for referrals as well.

Again, just my opinion. Your mileage may vary, no warranty neither expressed nor implied, except where prohibited by law. Do not take internally, side effects may include blurred vision, irritability, cramps, nausea, vomiting, green skin, horrendous gas, and mild anal leakage (whatever mild anal leakage is). Rinse and repeat as needed. Do not try at home, and always wear the proper safety gear. Remember kids, only you can prevent forest fires.

Be safe, don't put your fingers where they don't belong.

Shane
bhamer62
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bhamer62 »

I agree completely, if it's a custom request, it's theirs!! Especially a monogram!! Only thing you can do different is have them approve the artwork before you cut, I do that and verbally tell them this is what it will look like, any changes I need to know before I cut.
grindergary
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by grindergary »

Shane,

Well put, very informative. :)

Thanks

Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I remember a few years ago, Tom from Candcnc, said that when he did the custom cutting, he'd email an image to the customer to get approval. He acted like he was just asking the customer if that's how they like it but his main goal was to have proof they accepted the design.

He said it had pulled him out of the crap a few times when customers turned on the BS. As soon as he mentioned the email and the acceptance, that generally shut them up.

It's sad what some people will try.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
conz35
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by conz35 »

Shane hit the nail right on the head. We do a lot of customs, especially at shows, and ever single custom gets prior approval of the proof either by email or picture text at customers preference. Another good practice is to use sales orders sheets with 3 carbon sheets. One goes with customer, one goes for production that customer gets when they pick up there product or it ships out and the last copy is yours. Whats nice about using the sales order sheets Is I've had a couple people say they said they wanted there name customized on a piece but in reality it was never on the sheet. the icing on the cake is when they approved the proof without the last name.

Either way Id definitely try to work with the customer and make her happy. The fact that your willing to help correct the problem wether its your mistake or hers will go along way.

just my 2 cents,
mike
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

Update: lady went on and on and on even as i was trying to help her. She threatened to ruin my business sue me and do some other stuff even after i offered to help her out. I think she wants her money back and keep the item. I haven't heard from here for a while so hopefully its over.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”