Charging for customer drawing.

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Charging for customer drawing.

Post by wickedinhere »

I had a woman contact me about a custom piece so i drew it up exactly how she wanted it and it looked really nice.
I send her the pic of it then she wants to completely change it, at that point i explained that i did exactly what she asked for and that it would be 25.00 to do another drawing. I haven't heard back form her and i doubt i will its funny how people like to waste my time and think i have time to keep drawing for free.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Charging for customer drawing.

Post by Gamelord »

I will do a very rough sketch for free to iron out ideas, but when it comes to finished cut-ready drawings, I charge a minimum of 65/hour. Some of which I will apply towards the final price of the cut piece, depending on the customer and what they are paying. Thing that was happening to me was they were asking me for the drawing, then going elsewhere to get it done. The other guys would do it cheaper because the drawing was already finished. There are some real jerks out there, the price usually either guarantees me a cut or weeds out the tire kickers and cheats.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Seems we have to get the message across very early that DESIGN is part of the package and must be paid for. I think a lot of customers just have a finished product in their head, and mentally don't think they should pay for what is involved in arriving at that finished product. We have to get the message across that the design can take longer than the manufacturing.

Perhaps have a few examples of businesses that don't even give a tangible product but get paid for their design/knowledge services. Then give examples of many other businesses that get paid for their knowledge/time but have no physical product at the end:

Consultants
Designers
Solicitors
Graphic Designers
Accountants
Shrinks
Heaps more........

You are actually giving a knowledge/design based service PLUS a manufacturing service. Ask customers if they would expect to get any of the services I listed to do work for them then just say they aren't satisfied with the outcome and they want it all re-doing (for free LOL). Or tell them to get a designer to do the drawing then you will cut it out for a much cheaper price. See what they say to that.

Keith
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

I just had another lady contact me about doing a custom picture frame and wanted all kind of crazy stuff. I asked her what she wanted to spend on it she said 25.00. I told her no thanks. I guess the heat of summer down here is making people crazy.LOL
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ben de lappe »

I liked a comment I got from one genius wanting a custom piece. "All you have to do is hit a button, the machine does all the work".
I would always get a deposit. Weeds 'em out right from the start.
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

Ben i have heard that one before LOL. I had a guy tell me one time that the machine was smarter than i was. I said you mean its smarter than you are.LOL he didn't like that. :mrgreen:
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

And who invented the term "The customer is always right" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

"" And who invented the term "The customer is always right" ""

I always felt we BOTH have an equal share in the project. Don't insult my intelligence and I won't insult yours. IF the project can't make money I send it down the road. Maybe someone else can make it work out.

As far as drawing Cost I charge $35 per hour, 1 hour minimum up front charge and deduct 50% of that from the job IF they buy. I find MOST of the time the drawings are in part usable in other projects down the road.(;-) I won't even pick up the mouse without the upfront charge paid.

(;-) TP
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

vmax549 wrote:I always felt we BOTH have an equal share in the project. Don't insult my intelligence and I won't insult yours.
(;-) TP
Exactly !

Both parties have to win, and I always start off trying to do my best for them. When they are dicks though I tend to quickly follow suit :lol: . I simply look at business as an exchange of equal values, but not all customers think like that unfortunately.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”