304 SS

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

304 SS

Post by KIDTech »

What is your cost on a 4'x8' sheet of 304 stainless 1/4", here it is $690. My issue is that the guy only needs 20 of the peices cut out totaling $205 and I rarely have anything needing to be cut from this material so I guess I am looking for thoughts and ideas as well from others experience with this kind of situation.
DIY 5x10 v rail, rack and pinion
Gecko g540
Pm65 - aka game changer
Longevity ForceCut 42i is sitting on the shelf
Proma THC
ACAD, SheetCam, Mach3
Millermatic 211
NEW HORSE IN THE STABLE:
4'x8' LDR downdraft w/a scribe
Milltronics Partner 2 CNC mill
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: 304 SS

Post by _Ogre »

see if your supplier has a drop or buy 1/4''x6'' flat stock in any length you need or what ever width you need to fit the part

yes 304 ss is pricey
we cut a lot of 304 ss flanges for exhaust work, i typically lay the flanges out to cut out of 3/8''x5'' flat stock
but often we can get a drop that is 4 ft wide and what ever long

another good source is the scrap yard
when we drop off our scrap we look at what ever flat ss, alum or mild they have laying around
it sells for $1 per pound, no matter what material it is
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

If you can't find a drop, tell the customer how it is, and he can either furnish the material, or buy the whole sheet and take the leftovers with him. You can't cut it at a loss, nor can you store it for who knows how long and maybe use it. Someday. After you have moved it 1000 times and swore you would give it away. You may be able to purchase a drop from a competitor that does more stainless cutting, I can usually get aluminum and stainless drops from the laser shop that is about 45 miles away. I don't unless it's something like you are describing, and I will usually call and make arrangements then tell the customer to go get it and bring it to me I will cut it. They will always get a quote from the laser shop while they are there, and then they are more than happy to pay my prices. Now, I don't send them if they are looking for 2000 pieces, but then if they are looking for that I don't need a drop.

Shane
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

You can order flat bar stainless from Online Metals (call them for cheaper prices than what they have online and for longer pieces). For smaller runs it is a lot better price than buying an entire sheet - unless you will eventually use the whole sheet in a short time period.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
JEd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by JEd »

PLT 304 HRAP .25 X 48 X 96 $439.1100

from my local steel supplier's online quote system.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”