Copyright Material

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
OakRidgeFarms
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Copyright Material

Post by OakRidgeFarms »

Hi, not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this, but:

I have had a lot of requests for making signs of manufacturers, what is the process to LEGALLY make these?
i.e.: Case, John Deere, Glock, Colt, Remington, etc...

Its not a line I am willing to cross for a few bucks, so am seeking advice...

Thanks in advance.
Tracker CNC Nitro 4x8 Table
Powermax 85
SigmaNest
Corel Draw x7
Hobart Handler Wire Feed
Miller Bobcat 250 Welder Generator
http://www.facebook.com/ORFarms
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Copyright Material

Post by Gamelord »

It is hard to say because some manufacturers dont mind (buckmark) and others will sue the pants off ya (Disney / Harley). Best thing to do is to contact the manufacturer and ask them what their policy is. Get it in writing if you can. Any grey area and I would say no, a couple bucks is not worth the hassle of attorneys and lawsuits.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

My experience was with Union Pacific Railroad and it was positive. The big corporations will have a trademark licensing department who will walk you through their rules and regulation. Be prepared for them to be daunting but try to see things from their perspective and they will work with you.

Dano
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
OakRidgeFarms
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by OakRidgeFarms »

Good advice from you guys, thanks.

I am doing a test run with Smith and Wesson first, since I know they will be one of the toughest to get permissions from,

Thanks again.
Tracker CNC Nitro 4x8 Table
Powermax 85
SigmaNest
Corel Draw x7
Hobart Handler Wire Feed
Miller Bobcat 250 Welder Generator
http://www.facebook.com/ORFarms
jakedog
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jakedog »

any thoughts on john deere?
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

If you look on ebay, etsy and places like that, there are millions of people that don't bother getting licensing. As stated above disney and harley are bad, but for the rest I'd go for it. Unless you are a very very large company I don't think they will even find you.
Look at all the guys on ebay that make stickers. think the big companies are going after them? i don't think
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
cbassjr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cbassjr »

My experience is if it's a dealer or something like that usually no problem but an individual then be very very careful, I run form these as I don't need the heat it can bring as companies and their property don't care if you have a pot to piss in and a window to throw it out they'll take everything you own and then some. I won't even do traces on here of that stuff. I have asked for help before for a couple of traces or help but I make it perfectly clear who it's for i.e. owner, etc. Be careful and be safe always cya.
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

I wont risk it. If they don't find you i can promise you someone will turn you in. I made a LSU fire pit as a donation and someone turned me in. I always get request for Harley stuff and i just say sorry cant do it. Its not worth loosing everything i have worked for.
Redneck
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Redneck »

We sell things on Etsy. We used to make a couple items with Glock pistols on them.......they didn't say Glock on the item or even the description. Glock saw them on Etsy, contacted Etsy, and Etsy removed the listings and contacted us and said we couldn't even use a "likeness" of a Glock. So, we substituted a 1911 and made the item.
pertneer
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by pertneer »

jakedog wrote:any thoughts on john deere?
https://www.deere.com/en_US/corporate/o ... nsees.page
4'x8' CNC Plasma w/Water Table Running a Powermax 65 :D
CandCNC, Mach3, SheetCam, Millwrite Plasma V6
Redneck
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Redneck »

pertneer wrote:
jakedog wrote:any thoughts on john deere?
https://www.deere.com/en_US/corporate/o ... nsees.page
Uhhh......$25,000 minimum guaranteed royalty..... that green paint sure is expensive. ;)
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

John Deere
John Deere Licensing Requirements

We appreciate your interest in being a licensed supplier to John Deere.

The first step in working with our company is to make sure you understand our high quality expectations, as well as our extensive and rigorous licensing requirements.

John Deere licenses are non-exclusive.

John Deere requires a Guaranteed Minimum Royalty of $25,000 per year.

Minimum combined product liability and umbrella/excess insurance is $6,000,000 without children's products; $10,000,000 for licenses that include any children's products.

Sales/distribution to John Deere dealers is mandatory; licensees must be able to arrange for small order fulfillment through the John Deere dealer ordering system.

Sales/distribution to John Deere dealers in Canada is mandatory and all Canadian requirements must be met and maintained.

Distributors are only allowed under special circumstances; pre-approval is required.

Royalty reports and payments are due monthly.

Artwork submitted and approved for licensed product becomes the property of John Deere.

Before the Request for License is finalized, a company financial review must be completed.

John Deere requires third party Code of Conduct audits on all licensee factories prior to contract execution.

If you have read and agree to the above licensing requirements, you are invited to submit a John Deere License Consideration Form.

Visit JohnDeere.com today or click here to close this window.

This is pretty much in line with some of the bigger corporations here in Oz that I approached a few years back although some do have provision for what they refer to as low level marketing.

I have been told by a couple of sources that a company over here has recently been served with notice by the AFL (Australian Football League) who own the marketing rights to all levels of the football code in Australia and all clubs right down to junior level. Apparently they have not only lodged notice of intention to sue for a seven digit figure, they are also demanding the total recall of all product sold with refunds to customers and damages paid. Even though the company is a Pty Ltd which would normally protect the directors and share holders financially, they are not legally protected against criminal charges of fraud and deception by manufacturing and selling product they did not own or have the right to, being the intilectual property of trademark regardless of what item it was attached to.
Not sure if it's truth or urban myth but I have been told of it by numerous people including one of the steel companies who gave me a friendly warning in case I was in breach, which for the record I wasn't.
Murray
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

Yep, I would be very careful and completely avoid the area unless you have a license. I was reading a forum about vinyl sticker guys and this guy was approached at the racetrack by a woman saying she needed stickers for her race car of her sponsors logos. Guy figured that it was kosher since she was sponsored, race cars get all those stickers, what could go wrong? Turned out she was basically a P.I. That was working with a few dozen manufacturers and each one paid a fee for each infringement she was able to get proof of. She got a bunch of stickers made up, guy made a $100 and then had a half dozen lawyers on him all looking for infringement fees. Seemed like entrapment, but was definitely a nasty situation.

Just ain't worth it.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”