reasonable charges for plasma cuttouts

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
maxman1
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

reasonable charges for plasma cuttouts

Post by maxman1 »

Was wondering if anyone could suggest a reasonable rate for cutting out these fine plasma artworks. I kind of figure that charging per cut in is most likely the first place to go....and eventually will figure out the minimum charges to keep up with supplies, expendibles etc....but would be cool if someone has this figured out already and I dont have to spend a year of excel charts to get it down....
So...any suggestions?
Thanks. Max
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: reasonable charges for plasma cuttouts

Post by jimcolt »

When I cnc plasma cut metal that is not considered art...here is my formula:

1. Know what you paid for the material.......mark it up to reflect your handling costs (its hard to move plate around your shop.....and did you have to pick it up at the supplier?)......on most plate under about 1/2" you likely should double the purchase price. Do the math and figure out your selling price per square inch.

2. If your plate works out to $.05 (5 cents per square inch).....use this same figure for your plasma cutting cost per lineal inch.....if you are using an air plasma with good cut quality and good consumable life (Hypertherm). I have done calculations for years trying to compensate for different thicknesses, the number of pierces, what it costs to grind dross.....and I find that this method works best.

3. Draw an imaginary rectangle around the part you need to cut. Figure out the square inches of the rectangle.....and this is the amount of material you should charge for.....this compensates quite well for waste and scrap metal that you likely will not be able to use. So...if you have 60 square inches, multiply it by the selling price for the material you are using (from 1 above, let''s use $.05 per square inch)....so the material price is: 60 x .05 = $ 3.00

4. Use a measure function in your plasma software to determine how many lineal inches there are in your part program.....lets say there are 47 lineal inches....so multiply lineal inches cut x the selling price of the plate (from 1 above), 47 x .05 = $2.35

5. Ad your material cost (from 3 above) to your cutting cost (from 4 above), $3.00 + $2.35 = $5.35. That is what I would sell the part for.....plus shipping of course, and if you had to CAD draw the part.....you will also need to charge for that value added time as well.

If it is art....and it is a truly good piece....then use the above to calculate the minimum you could sell it for.....but mark it up to whatever the market will bear. I have sold many $3.00 pieces of steel for $60 to $100 if it truly is art.
boodog710
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: reasonable charges for plasma cuttouts

Post by boodog710 »

Max, I cut a lot of parts for several manufacturers in the area. They email me the drawings in dxf format. And they supply the material. In this case I charge 20 cents an inch and 22 cents a pierce.

In all other situations I consider things like drawing time, cost of material, set-up, clean up, prime, paint and cutting time. Is it for a regular customer or just someone who walked in. In cases like this it's sort of like, how much can I get for this.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”