what machine?

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
VSAW
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

what machine?

Post by VSAW »

I have two questions. One, I am going to buy a machine. I need a small machine that will use a 4x4 sheet and cut small parts with a max thickness of 1/4"

I want something reliable that will not break on me all the time.

I am familiar with plasma cutting in general. I used to work at an armored car place that had a 5'x12' machine running a Hyperthem torch. They also had a 5'x12' waterjet. It was featured on a TV show called "The science of armored cars" and "sliced" was filmed there as well as a few other shows. But now I am doing my own thing.

I need to cut small tabs for my new business. I am in the Dallas area.

Second, who here gives quotes on cutting? I need some stuff cut. I design all my own stuff on Solidworks DWG editor. I can send it to you in a dxf or dwg.

Thanks, Mike
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: what machine?

Post by icmplasma85 »

I'm sure everyone that replies to this will tell you to get the machine they have, and rightfully so....

In saying that, I bought a 4x4 Plasmacam about a year and a half ago, and I absolutely love it. The software is the best part of the package because it is so easy to use. I read posts on this site all the time about Mach 3 and this and that and people having problems with different software, but the Design Edge by Plasmacam is made for that machine, and the commands and ease of use make it a breeze to learn, at least if you have SOME CAD experience. I wouldn't expect someone who had never turned on a computer to pick right up on DesignEdge or any other CAD program for that matter, and at the same time I would hope they wouldn't make a, for lack of a better word, dumb decision and buy a CNC table with no experience in that field whatsoever.

For what it sounds like you will be doing, I think a Plasmacam would work great for you. They also have a 5x10 table(that I wish I had) and different software levels and options. You may want to look into their nesting software as an add-on, but you would want at least advanced design, and advanced height control. Advanced machine control is good to have as well, but not a must have, especially for the work you will be doing. Hope this helps you.
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Millermatic 211 MIG Welder
VSAW
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by VSAW »

I have never liked any nesting software. Anytime I draw anything I could always get more pieces on a sheet than any nesting software out there.

I was drawing odd shaped pieces of armor for the inside of armored suburbans and Mercedes. Then at my last job I was drawing pieces for grille guards and bumpers for new trucks. I could always get lots more than the nesting programs.

I have all those drawings if anyone wants to build their own grille guard for a GM or Ford truck. I designed the pieces at a job before the last one so I own the designs.

I will look into that machine. But I am wondering what cost you have in your setup.
tirediron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tirediron »

There are numerous machines in this market. I am currently running the Plasma Route 4 x 4 water table and the only issue I've had is my own fault - tip ups have slowed me down a couple of times. One call to either Steve or Nikki and the part is on the way. They are located in Ada, Okla. I actually drove up there to see the machine prior to my purchase. Look them up on the web and should you have time drive up there to view the machine in action.

Good luck with what ever machine you choose - as there are folks on this forum who will help you with any problems you should have.

Gerry
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by icmplasma85 »

I initially had around $11K when I bought it, but a few months back I got $3K worth of upgrades, so I'm right around $15K. Not bad for a machine that will cut parts while I watch TV and drink beer. :lol:
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

Want a good table with no problems ?
check this one out . http://arclightcnc.com/plasma-tables.html

with this table you are not stuck with proprietary software .

you deal with the owner , who is always there to help. if you need it . :)
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
drossmaker
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by drossmaker »

Thanks Al,
you should consider our tables like Al mentioned we try to provide our customers with the most bang for there buck.
Check out our website arclightcnc.com

$13920.00 will get you a 4x8 cnc plasma table and hypertherm power max 65 (w/ machine torch) with:
-Water table
-Digital torch height control
-Computer and all software for cutting CAD parts and creating custom signs/ artwork
-Control cabinet, that encloses all electronics and has a filtered fan which supply it with clean air.
-Breakaway magnetic torch mount, to prevent damage to the torch when crashes occur.
-Dual gantry with two 620oz motors that give you high acceleration and great low end torque.
-The ability tow automatically slow down on holes, corners and other features to improve cut quaility while dynamically turning the torch height control on and off when needed.
-A table that weighs over 1500lbs and can easily handle full sheets of 1 1/2" plate

Plus we sell only fully tested and assembled tables, not kits. Our tables arrive ready to run, plug in a few cables, mount the control cabinet and your cutting.

Scott Cunningham
Arclight Dynamics
866-222-2154
arclightcnc.com
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Look @ a Dynatorch . . . especially the SuperB . . .

Steve in Louisiana . . . :D
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
cdw
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by cdw »

I have a LDR motion 5X10, water bladder with scribe. Machine, They may not have the big advertising campaigns that many do but will have to say it is built like a rock and the guys are great to talk to and deal with. Complete Machine when you pick it up , computer, software, your plasma or they can set it up with your choice. They are 2 brothers that take pride in what they build and it shows. Don't let their small website fool you. If your wanting a light weight machine then prob not what you want.
VSAW
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by VSAW »

icmplasma85 wrote:I'm sure everyone that replies to this will tell you to get the machine they have, and rightfully so....

In saying that, I bought a 4x4 Plasmacam about a year and a half ago, and I absolutely love it. The software is the best part of the package because it is so easy to use. I read posts on this site all the time about Mach 3 and this and that and people having problems with different software, but the Design Edge by Plasmacam is made for that machine, and the commands and ease of use make it a breeze to learn, at least if you have SOME CAD experience. I wouldn't expect someone who had never turned on a computer to pick right up on DesignEdge or any other CAD program for that matter, and at the same time I would hope they wouldn't make a, for lack of a better word, dumb decision and buy a CNC table with no experience in that field whatsoever.

For what it sounds like you will be doing, I think a Plasmacam would work great for you. They also have a 5x10 table(that I wish I had) and different software levels and options. You may want to look into their nesting software as an add-on, but you would want at least advanced design, and advanced height control. Advanced machine control is good to have as well, but not a must have, especially for the work you will be doing. Hope this helps you.
What does the plasmacam 4x4 cost new? What does it come with?
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by icmplasma85 »

Around 15k or less to get a 4x4 table with advanced software and also advanced height and machine control. That price also included my plasma cutter (powermax65). Best thing to do is call plasmacam directly so you can get current pricing. Remember, advanced height control is a must.
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
VSAW
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by VSAW »

Ok great. Gotta do a little more research. I appreciate it.
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

we just bought a bulltear 4x8 water table with rotary head and powermax65, have less than $15k in it with shipping. one thing nice is over 9'' of z axis travel, we use a lot of fixtures on the table for cutting tube and other parts that require a fixture on the table. we looked at a 4x4 initially, the cost difference is minimal between the two
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”