Pulling out of my rental spot.

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Pulling out of my rental spot.

Post by wickedinhere »

I have a place at a local market that i rent and use to be pretty decent. This place was suppose to be hand made stuff or re-purposed items not just anything and no junk, one of a kind stuff and custom pieces. The last 3or4 months i noticed that there were a few vendors with large spots that had nothing but junk and china pieces. We'll about the same time my sales went south and a few vendors started pulling out but i stuck it out and gave them a chance boy what a mistake. The place is now full of vendors that sell total garbage with only a few good vendors left. I told her that i would be pulling out after Christmas she said "i figured that" never questioned me why i was leaving or said another word. I just shook my head and walked out. Gotta love people. LOL
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Pulling out of my rental spot.

Post by wickedinhere »

Well i am out of that place, it was unreal how i was treated on the way out. They couldn't be nicer when they were trying to get me in there but leaving was a different story. LOL
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

This is the same thing that happens with craft shows.

They always start out with the "we want to provide a place for true artist & crafts people to display and sell their wares"

They use the artist in a couple dozen booths to get the coverage in the local paper and sometimes TV.

After their traffic increases they start soliciting Chinese & Mexican junk peddlers.

I will make it simple, if the person operating the venue IS NOT AN ARTIST, DO NOT SET UP THERE ! ! !

They are simply in the 100 sq. foot lot leasing business for the max 7 to 12 months it last.

Kind of like consignment, it is never a good idea . . .

Steve in Louisiana . . .
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
mr.stickerz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mr.stickerz »

when you say junk peddlers are you talking about people selling cheap imported metal art????
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

mr.stickerz wrote:when you say junk peddlers are you talking about people selling cheap imported metal art????
Yes, cheap imported metal art . . . it attracts Walmart Susie . . . you really don't want her as a customer anyway . . .

Steve :D
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

In my case they were selling china metal and just trinket junk it looked like they went to garage sales and bought what didn't sell. The place use to be cool it was an old warehouse, i have talked to people that wont go in there anymore because they say its just another junk shop.
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

That's sad. It's the same way around this area. The flea markets and swap meets used to have neat stuff but the imports have about taken over.

Allen
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

Well i am doing my taxes and added up what i made at the rental spot i came out with about 100.00 profit. I knew it wasn't going to be much but dang i took a beating and that was for 11 months. OUCH I will never do that again the guy renting the spot made all the money.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Those guys are in the real-estate business . . . 100 square feet at a time . . .

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

I wanted to do a update about this. I went in to the place where i use to sell my metal just to see how it was going cause i knew a few of the people. I noticed that all the vendors that were actually artist and made items are all gone. It's nothing but trinkets and garage sale garbage. They even had a guy that had a booth setup advertising his portable building's that you can buy everywhere. I had a good laugh and left.
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

That's a shame. So where is everyone going? I used to love to go to flea markets, but everything is brand new.
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

I only sell on my website and Facebook i spend about 80.00 a month on Facebook and its money well spent.
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

The amount you spend on Facebook does it pay for itself? if so
how does it work?
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

I post a pic of a sign that i make normally something that is a popular item for my area. I then hit the Boost button on that post and spend 20.00 really easy to do. You can select what area it gets boosted in and you can use keywords

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”