Cheap!!! Homebrew Air Dryer

All topics related to compressed air supply.
CPK_Jim
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Cheap!!! Homebrew Air Dryer

Post by CPK_Jim »

Hey guys,

I decided I needed an air dryer for my shop. I luv to build machines and tools so I thought why not build the air dryer I need. I thought about the action of removing moisture from air and decided that the best option was to condense the water out. Thought about using a little fridge to cool of a coil of air line and some how drain the water off the bottom of the coil with the help of gravity. I didnt like the idea of another appliance running sucking up power, I do enough of that with my oven. I then had the idea to use the fridge I was already running in my shop to cool our drinks, just had to make it so the fridge was still usable for this purpose. Heres what I came up with.

Ok, so this is an easy one I'm sure all of you can do. All that is needed is a refrigerator (this can be the one you currently put your beer in) and some piping or hose.

In the pics you see some pvc piping inside the fridge, this is cooled by the fridge. As the warm moist air enters the moister condenses in the cooled pipe. It is collect in the resivior at the bottom outside the fridge and the dry air goes to the shop. Simple as that.

If I had to do it over I would use metal for the piping for better efficiency. But as you can see from the last pic, it does work! The water you see was drain from the resivior after using the sandblaster for a couple hrs the first day the dryer was installed. I have been using this for a few months now, and have not had even a drop of water in my lines anywhere!!!! Even on the hottest most humid days, running the sandblaster nonstop.

As far as it being needed for the plasma, I now very rarely have any misfires and consumable life seems to have increased.

Jim
Wine Country
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Cheap!!! Homebrew Air Dryer

Post by Wine Country »

Cool Idea, dual uses for the man fridge. I kick myself for having given away a refrigerated air drier about a year before
getting my machine. My only question is, wouldn't copper lines be more efficient at cooling the air,as pvc doesn't have the
thermal conductance like copper ?. You could bend the corners and use compression fittings if you didn't want to sweat solder
the joints. I guess you could go to wal-mart and buy a $75 refrigerator and have a real good air drier. Put some 1 gallon
bottles of water in it,as you need to have a thermal mass inside or it will run continuously.Fantastic idea CPK_Jim !
itsnotlevel
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Cheap!!! Homebrew Air Dryer

Post by itsnotlevel »

DAMN! Now that is using the old melon! :mrgreen: :idea:
:::Paul Wilson:::
Stay Gold!

Return to “Air Dryers, Air Filters, Air Compressors, Etc.”