Handheld vs Machine torch

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Handheld vs Machine torch

Post by Old Iron »

I would like to know what the advantage would be of having a machine torch vs a handheld torch on my CNC table.
Thanks in advance Jim
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Handheld vs Machine torch

Post by acourtjester »

It is much easier to mount a machine torch and get the truly vertical due to the tubular shape.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
WyoGreen
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by WyoGreen »

Having the machine torch on your table frees up the hand torch to use for cutting done off the table. I have my plasma cutter on a mig welder type of cart, so I can easily move it around my shop to do a quick cut or gouge on other projects.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Dana gear
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Dana gear »

Keeping a hand held plasma torch true perpendicular to the work when held in some kind of jig or fixture is pretty hard to do.
That's the point of why we use a machine torch, when used with a good torch holder the machine torch barrel should be 90 degrees to the work.
Ever wonder why every professional manufacturer built CNC machine comes set up for machine torches only, there a reason.
Do hand torches work in a machine application , yes to a degree. Plasma Cam has sold there CNC table based around the use of a hand held plasma torch and sold lots of them. That said when cutting gauge material you probably would not see much of an angle of cut however in thicker material you will start to see a bevel in the cut and this is amplified dramatically with corner's and circles.
The name of the plasma torch says it all HAND held plasma torch and MACHINE plasma torch............
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Sounds like everything is pretty much covered! Squaring the torch to the material is easier. With a magnetic mount you can quickly remove torch and inspect/clean/replace consumables then quickly pop it back on in perfect location. (the hand torch mount can be a maddening experience!)
The machine torch mounting materials are designed to handle heat produced from high duty mechanized cutting. The hand torch handle will not hold up as well. Machine torch can have a plug and play interface to the CPC port. Hand torch requires internal connections and wire splicing.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

Thanks for the feed back.
It is tough keeping the hand held square with the material.
The magnetic mount makes since now too.
Bobkovacs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bobkovacs »

Kinda tough to change consumables when your retaining cap is clamped into the machine. It's a piece of cake when the clamp is high up on a machine torch body.
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

I purchased a machine torch today.
It should be here around the 14th

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”