promo 150 install need help

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

promo 150 install need help

Post by kennye »

Hi y'all newbie at this been reading over the forum quite a bit lately a lot of information so I had to come out of the dark and ask for help
I recently purchased a Hypertherm 45 xp and a promo 150 .I read the owners manual on how to install it by using the ground wire as positive
and the white wire as negative my plasma didn't come with a plug and play. my problem is the promo is not getting enough voltage to turn on the most it gets by my ohm meter is from 12 to 13 volts and that is when the torch is fired. The guy I bought it from says it needs 24 volts dc to even turn on.Am I missing something here that I should have done different .thanks for any help it was supposed to be a retirement hobby but its turned into a job. :D
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: promo 150 install need help

Post by sphurley »

Sound like you are missing a lot. You do know you need to get the 7-35volts DC to power the Proma from your table controller or other DC power source.
The connections to the PM45X is for arc voltage. If you bought the mechanized version of the 45 you will have a connector on the back for the arc voltage.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

Actually I did order the mech version but it came without the plug I took it anyway
that was my second mistake my first was buying a table without support
I went by the hypertherm manual to get arc voltage wired it just like the manual said to the ground clamp and electrode
positive being the work and the neg being the white on the board but when I wire the promo it wont come on no lights no nothing What has me puzzled is when I check with my meter I get nothing until I press the trigger on the plasma then it spikes to 12 to 13 v and the promo still wont light up I was thinking I had a bad thc but Im not getting any power out of the two wires Im connected to until i trigger the plasma 3 days and im where i started at is there a safety switch or something I need to bypass or do I have a bad THC? Thanks for trying to help.
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

sorry I didn't finish answering your question yes im getting 9.5 from my control on my table.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Do you have the negative of the power source connected to the signal ground from the BOB, they are not the same, :o see attached schematic.
I would look for a wall wart that has at least 12 Volts to power the Proma. I used 12 volts from my computer power supply.
BOB signal inputs, Ohmic, and THC.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

Thanks Ill try that and let you know appreciate the info.
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

Thanks yall I at least got the box to turn on now just got to figure out how to wire it to my board .
My set up doesn't look like the schematic. posted .But i think it should work .
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

One thing that may be different is the input pins of your BOB board. Be sure you have the correct pin locations for the inputs matching Mach 3 ports and pins inputs.
inputs.jpg

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

Yeah im finding that out. .up is pin 10
down is pin 11
arc is pin 12 according to whom I bought the machine from
But on mach 3 up is pin 11
down is pin 12
on is pin 10
My question would be do i change my wiring to correspond with the pin number or do I change the pin number in mach 3 or would that even work
or am I screwed up on my thinking.lol thanks
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

If the wiring is done just change the pins in Mach to match
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

Thanks I appreciate the help .Maybe I shouldn't have waited until I got ready to retire to start another business lol
Will keep you posted thanks again
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

Ive changed the pins on mach 3 and I can see n1 and n2 flashing in sinc with up and down arc
run promo thru test mode seems to b working fine but will not relay info past bob into mach 3
went into mill options ck allow thc mode all of my thcs in input are ck tried with active and emulated inputs
ck in and out lost in S.C.
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

Almost forgot keeps saying THC up or down signal active please clear
sphurley

Post by sphurley »

Sounds like you have the inputs set wrong. Is active low checked? Not sure what the Proma puts out, active high or low.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

the emulated inputs only work if you have selected keys on the keyboard. If you have keys selected when you push them the lights on the program page should light. See attached image the emulated keys I used (123 is F12 and 19 is PB key) you will need to put your correct pin number where needed and have a post number too. When you push the F12 key you should see THC up light and the Z should move up ( you can do this with out the table being hook up ). The PB key will move Z down.
emulate.jpg

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

Thanks for the help I think it finally blew up it doesn't even do test mode now
anyone have any suggestions on something that would work and not break the bank .Thanks again for all the help
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I forget to tell you that you need to remove the emulate function so Mach can function normally, just make like you were selecting a key but enter nothing and exit. It should then clear out the key you had selected before.
Are you saying the the Proma no longer shows things happening in Test mode?
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

ITwill go to a number like 10 and then start counting 250 up and down it worked in test mode for a little
showing where it was going up and down when I turned my control on and tried to cut some straight lines it only showed going up and then it stopped doing that.Go figure huh
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

Finally got it halfway it will go up but not down any suggestions? In test mode it shows working but when it cuts only goes up.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

When it is cutting it is using the arc voltage for move direction maybe you have the up and down swapped.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

I will change them on the pins and see if that makes a difference according to the manual it said u could do
with arc or not ive tried both ways still no change .Ive noticed on the diagnostics page that the torch light is on
torch light flashes up but down light is on too but it doesn't flash it just stays on.When I put my meter on my bob theres power on the right pin when its going up and power when its going down on the down pin but some how down is not transferring to mach 3
even my z axis movement shows up but not down on mach . Again I appreciate the help I probably would have trashed it if not .thanks
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I would say you have a bad relay in the proma, When in TST you should see torch arc on all the time and the up/down light should toggle on and off.
If you see this on the proma and not on the diagnostic page its bad.
If you have an Ohm meter remove the output wires from the proma and put you meter on signal ground and the down pin then run the TST program.
You should see it short then open and back to short as the lights flash on the proma. Like wise the up pin should do the same thing. This will tell you if the proma is working correctly or not. There is just a contact in the Proma that is ON or NC no voltage output.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

Yeah thats what I was thinking yesterday I went in this morning changed the pin numbers in mach 3 like u said thinking i might have the wires crossed It didnt make any difference so I put it back like it was and it started working u tell me
Im thinking a relay was stuck and when I shorted it out or changed it over the promo broke lose and started working
man that thing like to have got me run off from home lol I cut some metal today and it seemed to b working right
the cuts looked sloppy but it worked .I need to learn how to set it up for 16 gauge steel .There's a whole lot I need to learn
thats why I joined this forum to learn may be I can return the favor someday if theres anyone else like me {I doubt it}
and I do appreciate u helping me .THANKS
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

Are there any settings I need to try to adjust the promo to or just follow factory defaults. My cuts suck they were actually better with out it it is working but it keeps trying to dive or cuts to high or to low on my hypertherm xp 45 with fine cut consumables.
tnjind
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by tnjind »

I use a Proma and I set everything, proma voltage, speed etc to book specs. Book specs are right on. I have a Hypertherm 1250.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”