promo 150 install need help

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: promo 150 install need help

Post by acourtjester »

What you may need to do is make test cuts at 0.060" torch height for about 5" so you can see what voltage should be for that metal thickness.
You may need to create a chart to use with your setup. I found Proma work better with raw plasma volts then the voltage divider voltage.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Chris37
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Chris37 »

I tracked you down from YouTube, I just got this proma to work tonight well learning everyday, I'm still trying to understand the Proma THC 150 settings I was told by a now good friend I met from another cnc zone forum that to leave the factory settings alone that to only adjust main voltage on proma box which will determine the torch height as it cuts above the steel. Can you confirm this information to be true?? There's not a whole heck of a lot of info out there on this system so I am digging hard in google to find out. I have been at it about 4 months trying to get this proma to work,
and only been into this cnc table the last 10 months. I had a good friend who was one of the builders of this cnc table pass away and just trying every weekend to keep his dream alive and just keep it going both for him and the other builder/friend and well myself as well. I had no idea I would learn so much these last 10 months. I'm a pipe welder by trade and had no idea this was gonna open my eyes to a whole new world in cnc but glad I stayed with it. Tomorrow I will be doing more testing trying to understand how this proma works, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

Im using raw plasma volts Im cutting 16 gauge steel is there any special way im supposed to set up the promo like HYS d-t HU I dont know what any of that means Ive changed it so much I dont know where I started at
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

I did try the test cuts though sometimes the thc will go up and not come down or vice r versa.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok I may not have been clear with the test cut.
What you should do is set up a cut with the torch cutting at 0.060" with out the THC signals going to Mach and cut long enough for you to see the voltage on the Proma display. This should tell you what voltage your setup will have while cutting at that height without THC interruption.
Now do a cut as before with that voltage set in the Proma, with the Proma signals going to Mach if all is working as it should with THC it should cut and move up and down as the voltage changes. IF NOT ITS BROKE
I would set the Proma HYS to about 6 (this will give you about 3 volt either way before Proma signals a change) and the d-t to about .9 to 1.2 (This is the delay from arc ok and THC control sensing ) HU is just the voltage range of the plasma total output 200 is fine.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

Thanks I tried your recommendations and finally got it to work only one problem is that the torch goes out right in the middle of some cuts the torch also dives at the start of some cuts pra both related issues. A little tweaking and i should b good to go. thanks again
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

Finally figured out what was happening when I first got my table I was told to rest the torch on the table to start
my cut so every time the promo could catch up it would blow it out so instead of resting the torch I leave it up
about a quarter of an inch torch doesn't dive now and go out and cuts are really good am I missing something
in setting up my tool or is this normal?
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

O yeah the promo is doing what it should .thanks for all the help.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

you may want to set the delay time (on the Proma) to about 1 or 2 seconds to delay the time that THC starts to sample the voltage at the start of the cut.
You want the torch to be about 0.160" off the metal surface for the pierce then drop to the cut height of about 0.060"
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

Sorry for the screwed up response above.So I need to set the tool up to 0.160 in pierce height or plunge rate or or in mach 3 is there a way to preset it ? thanks
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

getting to the pierce height is part of the g-code at the start of a cutting operation.
A quick overview is the torch moves to the cut start location then is given a home command for the Z axis. if you have a floating head switch or Ohmic sensor (both is better) when the torch tip touches the metal surface. It stops going down and moves to the pierce height and lights the torch.
here is a short video showing what it looks like the torch does not light.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irhDCCx ... e=youtu.be
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member