Need new shop vac

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
AIRFLOWKID
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Need new shop vac

Post by AIRFLOWKID »

Plasma Dudes,
Once cut, cleaned of any dross, I sand with 60 grit paper w/shop vac hooked up to sander. I use pleated filter on vac also. My shop vac bit the dust. I was thinking of replaciing it w/ one that has a vortex/bucket attachment before the shop vac. Would like to know what you folks think about this and any ways to increase life of vac.

Thanks so much,
Tim Red Robin Creatives
Wine Country
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Need new shop vac

Post by Wine Country »

I use an old Craftsman shop vac in my shop. One of the best investments I have made was to buy a washable filter. I believe
it is made of Kevlar and can be purchased at many big home improvement stores. I ran me around $30 at the time I bought it. But when you spend neary $10 or more for a paper filter and they clog up,you toss them. Mine gets loaded up with plasma
dust and I just hose it clean outside and leave it dry.It has held up for several years now.
AIRFLOWKID
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by AIRFLOWKID »

Thanks for the reply Winecountry. I ended up buying one a Ridgid vac from Homedepot. It too has a washable pleated filter. I'm still going to save up for a vortex attachment thought. Many thanks for your thoughts.

Tim :ugeek:
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

I sand a lot of drywall, and have the big stainless Ridgid vac .... One thing that helps a LOT is using the paperfine dust bags made for fine dust. Doesn't affect suction too bad, extends the life of your filter by a bunch, and cleaning out the vac is a snap!

http://www.shopvac.com/shopvac-accessor ... wders.aspx
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
pony
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by pony »

AIRFLOWKID wrote:Thanks for the reply Winecountry. I ended up buying one a Ridgid vac from Homedepot. It too has a washable pleated filter. I'm still going to save up for a vortex attachment thought. Many thanks for your thoughts.

You can't beat the value of the Rigid brand. They had the smaller model Rigid on offer a few months back at $25 in Home Depot. I already had a pefectly good working larger Rigid shop vac but ended up walking out of the store with another :oops:
AIRFLOWKID
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by AIRFLOWKID »

Pony,
I found the "Dust Right Vortex" at Rockler for $68.00 it seems like a good deal. Good ratings. Going to order and give it a try. I'll let you know how it works. My old shop vac could not handle the dust. The Vortex plus Ridgid shop vac should work great and last a long time.
pony
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by pony »

Don't forget those 'disposable' filters that come with the Vacs are tougher than you might think.
I've been using the same one for 3 years, I shake the heavier material in to the trash can, then I just use compressed air to clean the filter - not near Mrs Pony's roses or vegetable garden of course ;)
So long as the filter isn't torn I put it back in the machine. They are tough as old boots!

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”