Air Scribe questions

Questions, information, project pics and more relating to plate markers, engravers, and scribes.
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Air Scribe questions

Post by msimpson99 »

I just got a CP 9361 Air Scribe for Christmas. I mounted it to one of my smaller CNC machines to check it out. I'm running exactly 90 PSI into the unit and it has a hard starting on its own. The instructions say to set the dial to mid way and jar the tool if needed. In my case that's about 90% of the time, which makes automating the tool impossible

Even if I set the dial all the way to 5 it works pretty much the same way. I have a air solenoid I can use but since it wont auto start I cant use it.

Any ideas?
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Air Scribe questions

Post by WyoGreen »

You might try taking it apart and see if there is any packing material, etc. in it. You are running an oil lubricator on it?

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by msimpson99 »

I did that. I only took it apart to look at the tip. Should I tear it down completely? I got it from Amazon so I can still return it if its faulty.

It looks like to tear it down completely, I remove the little pin inside the main cylinder. Is that a place to start.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Turn the air up 10 pounds..
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by msimpson99 »

Does not help

Besides the unit has other problems. The stroke adjuster is not consistent. If I set the stroke to 3 and then run the unit for a few minutes the stroke drops off changing every thing.

Its not my air so it must be the unit. Since it was purchased from Amazon, I decided to return it. After that I will decide if I want to purchase another.

I have used engravers that cost 1/10th the price of this one and get much more consistent results.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I know, and have a cheap HF mini die grinder option for my Scribe setup..(test) I do use a Dotco marker for my fine line work..I run it about 10 psi more then the manual for more consistence in it's starts. Sometimes I hit the AUX to run the scribe to warm it up a bit.. Seems to work better overall that way.. This one take no lube, and are pretty nice markers overall. I figured if I need deeper lines. a decent mini die grinder with whatever bit I might need, is a good option for my Floating head scribe setup..

Good luck with whatever you come up with..
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by msimpson99 »

There is probably something inside the main mechanics. since I read that most people have good success with this unit, I will exchange it for another and try again.
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by msimpson99 »

Amazon took the unit back and sent me a new one immediately. Got it today. Works much better. Starts every time when set to 4 or above. More important the adjustments are smooth and consistent.

Now I just need to find a slider mech. I will be posting this on a new topic.

Return to “Plate Markers, & Air Scribes”