It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:16 am

How do I hook up air solenoid for my plate marker??

This forum is for plasma cutting related tools and accessories. Discuss products and tools that have worked or not worked for you.
ajk2004

How do I hook up air solenoid for my plate marker??

Postby ajk2004 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:10 pm

Gentlemen,
I am just finishing up my CNC machine and I would like to hook up a plate marker to my machine. I got an air solenoid off of amazon. It is a 5 way, 2 position solenoid. I have 2 spring return cylinders so I think I may have bought more then what I need. What I am going to do is buy mufflers/silencers for the ports that I do not need. Does anyone know where I hook up my shop air and where I run the air line for my cylinders? The other question I have, can I hook my cylinder and scribe up on the same line? So when the cylinders shoot down, that is when my scribe will turn on. Can I do this or do I need an additional solenoid? I thought about either getting another one or just manually running my scribe will a ball valve to turn on/off as needed. I would like to run it from a solenoid if possible. Thanks for your help.
Andy

[attachment=0]air solenoid 2.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]air solenoid 1.jpg[/attachment]

You do not have access to download this dxf file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to the thousands of files shared by our members. Click Here

acourtjester
Elite Contributing Member

Re: How do I hook up air solenoid for my plate marker??

Postby acourtjester » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:43 pm

How I did what you want is use one solenoid and a "T" on the output going to 2 regulators one for cylinder down and the other for scribe air.
Set one to about 5 PSI (cylinder) and the other to about 90 PSI (scribe). since I used the scribe by it self I hooked the torch trigger to a relay for turning the solenoid on/off. The trigger output uses a 12 volt power supply for the relay.
I also have CandCNC electronics for DTHC and they have a triggered output for the solenoid through another relay (120 volts output) and I can use both torch and scribe together.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
CandCNC DTHC-IV & Feather Touch
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PM 256 tig

ajk2004

Postby ajk2004 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:05 pm

acourtjester,
Thanks for your reply. I think I understand what you are talking about. I need to get myself a couple of regulators. I also have the C and CNC setup so that is what I planned to use as well, the plug in that will turn on/off via cut program. By looking at my solenoid, do you understand how to hook it up? I have more ports then what I need but whatever ports I don't use, I'm going to install mufflers/silencers to let air out when the cylinders are released. I don't know which port to hook my shop air into and which port to use to send air to the cylinders. Thanks.
Andy

acourtjester

Postby acourtjester » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:54 pm

I googled it and here is some info but nothing about how to hook it up
http://www.airtac.com.ar/admin/pdfs/4V300%20SERIES.pdf
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
CandCNC DTHC-IV & Feather Touch
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PM 256 tig

sphurley

Postby sphurley » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:07 pm

Red is down, Blue is up, Black is input and also scribe. I had to but some RF clamps on the AC power to the solenoid to keep noise off the CandCNC controller. The small brass filters on the solenoid kept dirt out (helps with noise but the scribe will drowned out anything within 100miles.
IMG_20160809_1759362.jpg
IMG_20160809_1758478.jpg

You do not have access to download this dxf file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to the thousands of files shared by our members. Click Here

Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 210 & 350P
Hobart Tig 250
Miller Dynasty 280DX

tm america

Postby tm america » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:04 am

Also might wanna install a flyback diode on the air solenoid as it can backfeed the controller when it turns off if you do not

Return to “Plasma Cutting Accessories & Related Tools Forum”