slip roller

All topics related to bending, forming, notching, drilling, saw cutting, etc.
STEEL3470
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

slip roller

Post by STEEL3470 »

i have a small project that is 16ga steel 3 1/2" wide and needs to be rolled in a "U"

so my question is where do i find a small cheap slip roller for this job? i have seen them before at harbor frieght but now they dont sell them.

i have found a cheaper one on amazon but im concerned if it will roll the 16ga steel with it that small.

here is the link to the one on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-T10727-12 ... lip+roller
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: slip roller

Post by Capstone »

it clearly states it's only good to 20ga, which is a LOT thinner than 16ga. The very fact that you want to roll 16ga pushes the tooling market into a different realm from decorative to somewhat structural, which means you can't simply buy a "Small" roller with those capabilities because there's no market for it in the real world. This is the smallest one I found in 30secs of looking that's rated for 16ga

Save your money on chinese crap tooling that is unlikely to work and go to a fab shop where they have a large enough tool to do the job with ease and be done with it.

I've been pining for a new Iron Worker, but I know good and well I can't justify the expense or space for even a used small one, so I understand the desire to add tooling to your belt, but if this is a one off, it's way better to throw some business at a shop and maybe get to know them in the process and open some new doors for your next project

Good luck
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
STEEL3470
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by STEEL3470 »

I hear ya, but yes in the description 20ga over 12" I'm assuming 16 would work at the 3". The job I need it for is prototype parts for new idea I have for this year that could take off, could be very good. I don't want to spend a lot because I'm in the process in purchasing a new table for $ 93,000 so money will be tight for awhile

I have used 36" slip rollers in the past with a hand crank machine was old but could do this no problem. Just looking for ideas
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

If you are just bending a "U" shape why not use a press with dies in the shape and size you need?
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Bobcat320
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Bobcat320 »

Or make a simple forming Jig? I have done this many times, and with both 16ga and 14ga it is real easy to do it by hand!
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker
Miller Mig, Tig, Stick & Portable

Why pierce it when you can punch it!
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

STEEL3470 wrote:I hear ya, but yes in the description 20ga over 12" I'm assuming 16 would work at the 3". The job I need it for is prototype parts for new idea I have for this year that could take off, could be very good. I don't want to spend a lot because I'm in the process in purchasing a new table for $ 93,000 so money will be tight for awhile

I have used 36" slip rollers in the past with a hand crank machine was old but could do this no problem. Just looking for ideas
$93K for a table!! dude, this entire discussion is mouse nuts; if your product idea is so good, and you're already shelling out $93K on a table, why bother with a cheap hobbyist solution for making just one item, when you will need to hire someone in house or outsource someone to just bend 16ga steel in to a bunch of "U"'s all day and definitely not with a cheap slip-roll!?
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
STEEL3470
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by STEEL3470 »

The 93 is for a laser I have subbed out a lot in the past few years and it has justified the purchase.

And the u shape is just for a prototype I don't have the means to create a press yet

I may make one like the heavy duty slip roll posted on here I just didn't know if any one has tried to use a small slip roll for small pieces of 16ga

I'm still thinking.
Redneck
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Redneck »

STEEL3470 wrote:The 93 is for a laser I have subbed out a lot in the past few years and it has justified the purchase.
What kind of laser did you get???? How fast will it cut 16 ga, and how thick can it cut? The ones I have looked at are about 50k more than that.
STEEL3470
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by STEEL3470 »

its a kern and for 16ga steel is 60 IPM what machine were you looking at? kerns is a single phase machine, i dont have 3 phase in the shop yet maybe down the rd but my shop is 600' from the rd so that will be an animal in its self.
STEEL3470
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by STEEL3470 »

here are some pics of what i can do on the new kern, very happy with it, so easy next up a batch of parts walk away and they are cut no more deburing and more options not just steel, to wood to acrylic to etching to glass.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “Metal Bending, Rolling, Notching, Drilling, Saw Cutting”