What do I need to build a plate marker?

Questions, information, project pics and more relating to plate markers, engravers, and scribes.
ajk2004
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

What do I need to build a plate marker?

Post by ajk2004 »

Hey Guys,
I am in the process of building a CNC table. I am nearing the end and I decided to build a plate marker for it last minute. I've researched a little bit on what I need and I need some clarification from you as to the materials needed to get this done. I have bought electronics from C and CNC, the blade runner AIO setup. Here is what I bought so far. My guess is some or all may be wrong but I'll let you chime in:

2- pneumatic air cylinders. These have a 2" stroke. I mistakenly bought cylinders that have a spring return built inside of them. I wanted cylinders that run up as well as down with air pressure. Will these be okay for what I need?
1- 5 way 110V air solenoid. Not sure if this will work or not. I bought this thinking I was getting pneumatic return cylinders but ordered the wrong cylinders. Also wasn't sure if I have the right voltage on this or if I needed something different.
1- single pole double throw relay. This is what I saw a guy use on instructables but not sure if I need this because I think the blade runner might have this built in?
1- chicago pneumatic engraving pen. I've found this seems to be the standard in plate marking and didn't want to skimp on this. I am making all of the mounts and bracketry for this so I will figure this out as I start assembling.

I will also use regulators and water/oil filters so don't really need any help on that. I'm hoping you can give me advise on if this stuff is good or what I need to get to make this work. Thanks for your help.

Andy
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: What do I need to build a plate marker?

Post by sphurley »

For whatever reason the topic is under:
CNC Plasma Table & Plasma Cutter Discussion Forum, look at the bottom of the topics.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

AS sphurley states there is lots of info under that topic.
But to answer one, the spring return cylinder is what I used and that will remove the need for tubing and a solenoid for return positioning.
I used one solenoid (120 volt AC) feeding 2 regulators, one for down cylinder (5 PSI) and the other for the scribe (about 90 PSI).
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hsolve »

Good morning ajk2004
I basically got an air scribe from Arclight dynamics though they sort supplied me, whilst still charging the full price and have never responded to my emails. So the only way I can respond to them possibly is to let someone else know how to build one.
You will need one only air cylinder with spring return with more than 2" of travel. The one I have from then (Arclight) has 4" of travel and you need this as the scribe need to be away from the torch tip not to be splatted with dross. The spring return cylinder is all that is required with a flow regulator at the top of the cylinder to regulate the air in, so you can adjust the speed of the scribe coming down to the material. Arclight use only one linear bearing (short one 2 bolt) to hold the scribe, however I have found that when the machine moves and the scribe needs to scribe the flex in the linear bearing dosen't scribe as it should. I have added an additional 4 bolt linear bearing block to stop this. I have posted some videos on my scribe working as it was sent origonally and you can see this happening. If you like I can photograph what I have changed and the configuration I have now and send it to you. That is how pissed off I still am with them. Send me a PM and I can forward what you like.
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

currently i use an electric scribe, but i had an air scribe on it too
similar to acourtjest with one 5 way solenoid and one regulator
i use a double acting cylinder and flow control valves to control the up/down speed
look in the plate marker/air scribe forum for more info and pics on a few builds
also good places to buy fittings and line, we have $100 in our plate marker

i have a 6'' stroke on my plate marker, i also have a bulltear table that has a high gantry
the 6'' cylinder keeps the plate marker clear of fixtures we use on our table
since we make one off plate markers we can buy overstock or nos at a good price
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Here is a what I was doing on that theme lately .. Posted it here..

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?58 ... heap-stuff
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

Brand X I like that, I use my router for engraving more than the plate marker, leaves a much better finish too.
Nothing about a router or die grinder can be considered quiet though!
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

My little Dotco does a excellent Job on fine line work.. The little die grinder is not too bad in noise, plus I could always cover the rear exhaust port with a sleeve, like my larger Nitto die grinder has.. So far the noise on the ones I have setup is not too bad at all.. Not like some of them out there.. Maybe a full sheet of thin sheet metal would make it way louder, but just doing small test pieces now.. Floating head excels there.. Does not want to grab like when messing with the air pressure down force systems.. No worrying about down/up speed, other then get it going as fast as you can..:) tool weight is all it needs, and pushing anymore down force, does not improve anything on my two tool setups. I usually buy Nitto Air tools when I can find them. Always the smoothest, and quietest by design.. That's why I am thrilled at the Cheap China setup working as well as it does.. I think a 1/8 collet will open up a whole new world on bit style.. Although the .250 I have is just fine..
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

a 1/8 collet
try a dremel rotary

bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Not going to fit my machine anywhere as nice.. Both mine fit in the same holder, Since I have air setup, you could use any 1/8 bits.. Nice options like you showed. Kind of where I was going, but looking more into the Carbide milling bit options.. now we need a burnishing/turning attachment for different finish styles..

Return to “Plate Markers, & Air Scribes”