water table/plasmacam/hypertherm issues

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
noplacetosail
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

water table/plasmacam/hypertherm issues

Post by noplacetosail »

Hello,
We just converted our plasmacam DHC2 to a 4 by 8 water table which we built. We are having problems and talked with plasmacam today. We are using a hypertherm powermax 45. The shield (220673) and nozzle 220671 are apparently shorting out due to water/plasma quench mixture being in the nozzle. If I unscrew the shield two full turns it doesn't seem to be an issue but seems to affect cut quality. If I have the shield hand tight it constantly says its contacting the material and stop in motion and will sometimes fire 2 inches above the material. Once again, unscrewing the shield 2 turns seems to make it happy but plays havoc on torch setback distance and dross.

The guy at plasmacam suggested I go to the unshielded shield and nozzle or fabricate my own ohmic sensor. Frankly I am skeptical about his advice and thought I should ask someone who has been there done that. Then he suggested I go to the video manual and look up how to reset the ohmic sensor but i'll be da-ned if I can find it anywhere!

A second issue is that the hypertherm runs air for 30 seconds after cutting which blows massive amounts of water on the torch assembly.

I would greatly appreciate any help !

Thanks, Don
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: water table/plasmacam/hypertherm issues

Post by Loyd »

Don,
PM Jim Colt he is the Hypertherm guru and has a plasmacam table.
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
plain ol Bill

Post by plain ol Bill »

Don my machine is not a PlasmaCam but I do run a water table. I have a Hypertherm 1250 and have never encountered any problems with moisture getting into my consumables. Water does splash all over the torch head when cutting or passing over open water to the next cut. Contact Hypertherm customer service and see what they have to say about your problem.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
elkriverfab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by elkriverfab »

Don,

I am sorry to hear about your problem......... and I don't want to take away from your post or change the topic until you get some help!

If you would be so kind and at least reply when you get things all worked out!

My question is, How did you turn it into a 4 X 8 table?

I have been getting a lot more jobs where a 4 X 8 would be so much better!

When you get the time and of course figure out your bugs with your hypertherm, would you be willing to share how you did this?

It would be great if I could make my DHC a 4 X 8.

I know the plasmacam software allows for a longer table config.

Thank you very much and good luck with the issues you are having, I am sure Jim Colt or someone here will be able to help you.

Thanks again.
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

if the water is too close....say closer than about 6" below the plate, then the water will splash back on the torch and can cause torch failure, and will render the important "ohmic contact" function useless. The Powermax line of torches are not recomended for wet cutting.....which can be defined as cutting with water in contact with the plate...or above the plate. The torch will fire, will cut, but the ohmic function will not operate correctly and the torch will be short lived due to damage from the water.

Use with water tables and air plasma systems is fine....just keep the water low enough below the plate so that it does not splash on the torch. I recommend a minimum of 6" below the plate.

Jim
noplacetosail
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by noplacetosail »

Thanks so much for your help ! I am cutting away on my 8 ft plasmacam table. Not able to go with 6" depth thats all my table is and I need to trap all the smoke I can due to space constraints so I dropped it to three inches below the grate top which is 5" total. I also placed a plate under "home" so it doesnt sit there and bubble water after cutting and lastly I made a splash gaurd which solved a lot of the water issues ! I will get pics of table and splash guard up, but right now I'm cutting and powder coating :D

Thanks Jim !!
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I'd love to see pics of your water table. I use a downdraft and a Torit Filter unit on my PlasmaCam.....works well but the filters need cleaning often.....real pain in the butt, and a dirty job.....maybe I should contact Mike Rowe from the Dirty Jobs TV show! Glad to hear you are running.

Jim Colt
noplacetosail
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by noplacetosail »

I will get pics today. The table is amazing! The shop teacher in me loves to build things and now I am eyeing a 40 ft container to convert into an oven in the rear and powder/prep booth in the front. Wish I had the money !
noplacetosail
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by noplacetosail »

Jim,

Here are the water table pics. There are 2 shelves under for steel storage. We made a grate rack on the inside with bolts to adjust the height for fine tuning. Once we dropped the water level we've had no cutting issues. It is 3.5 inches below the grates. if you want to build one I think I could save you some grief and money in a couple of phone calls. It is 5' by 9 ft. We are using plasma quench. Ordered a second set of 4 ft rails from plasma cam and welded them together. (mistake, should have drilled and bolted. Anyway, works great and cuts smoke drastically.

Don

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

geo4932
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by geo4932 »

Don,
I do have a non-official work around to your material sense issue when using a water table.
You will have to email me at support2010@plasmacam.com

George

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”