Z Axis question

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Z Axis question

Post by edclayton1 »

Hi, Can someone tell me what a typical Z axis height for a 4*4 plasma table should be. I am trying to make my own gantry system and do not know how much travel the Z axis should be able to travel. Also does anyone know of where to find plans for making gantry parts such as linear actuators, gear reduction pulley systems, etc... Thanks :roll:
pertneer
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Z Axis question

Post by pertneer »

Depends on what you plan on cutting. If you just plan on doing flat material then 2" seems excessive. if you are doing corrugated material then you may need more. I have a rotary axis on mine that I wanted up to 2" material to go under the gantry so I needed a bit more travel. Normally when I am running flat material I have my clearance height set to 1" to clear any tip ups. Usually not necessary, but I also don't write the code to save every wasted movement. I save that for work....
4'x8' CNC Plasma w/Water Table Running a Powermax 65 :D
CandCNC, Mach3, SheetCam, Millwrite Plasma V6
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Z Axis question

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

edclayton1 wrote:Hi, Can someone tell me what a typical Z axis height for a 4*4 plasma table should be. I am trying to make my own gantry system and do not know how much travel the Z axis should be able to travel. Also does anyone know of where to find plans for making gantry parts such as linear actuators, gear reduction pulley systems, etc... Thanks :roll:
For the gear reduction pulley systems I used a website in Australia called AusXMods. Pretty good on price especially now the Aussie dollar is down on the US, delivery was really quick, and the range is really good. I used a already proven design for the reduction mounts. In terms of linear actuators, ebay seems to be the go, for me it was cheaper to buy and ship an already built one than it was to buy all the parts to make it. I got a linear actuator with 5 inches of travel for $180 delivered to Australia. Way more travel than I needed, but good for getting the torch out of the way for loading and unloading material. Could come in handy also for cutting RHS.
Home built 3400 x 1400mm (11 and a bit X a bit over 4.5 feet)
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Some air dryer off the internet
Another water seperator I found unused on a shelf
Refrigerated air dryer

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”