Swag off-road tubing roller

All topics related to bending, forming, notching, drilling, saw cutting, etc.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Swag off-road tubing roller

Post by Shane Warnick »

ups grunted a little when they dropped it off. Took about 5 min to set up. Great setup so far. Needs a return spring, easy enough to add. Rolled a 180 degree arch 18" radius (36 " across) out of 1.5" 0.120 wall square tubing no problem at all. Did not set a land speed record but at $180 a set for dies I can go slow and easy. Get more beer down that way too :D

Will definitely cut an adapter and hook the HF pipe threader up to it. Forgot to take pics but ya seen one ya seen em all. Could I build it? Yup. Not for what I paid for it at my current shop rates etc. No need to reinvent the wheel.

At this point, I say thumbs up if you were thinking about it and have some common sense and patience I would recommend it. Easy company to deal with, up front and quick. Bulletproof design (not brain surgery) and again, I don't think I could chase all the parts do the machining etc for what I paid for it. If you already are halfway through rebuilding a harbor freight roller to make it work, MIGHT be a different story. Maybe.

I will run it for a few weeks and let you know if anything falls off or gives up.
Shane
cbassjr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Swag off-road tubing roller

Post by cbassjr »

Got mine about 2 weeks ago. Like to know what you did differently than me on square tubing oth ed r than I set up with the HF electric threader and tried on 2" 16 guage and really bound up the tubing to the point it would break off the HF threader and would not go past the area.where it spread out. Got a buddy that owns a machine shop and in the process of making a dimple die for the top roller to stop the tubing distortion. Don't know why swag doesn't offer a set of dies as an option. Am also thinking the HF threader may be going too fast???? But like you I didn't already have a HF roller around to use the parts off of to make one am overall pleased with the sturdiness of the roller but the dies they tout have let me a little bit dissatisfied as to the square tubing side. Am getting back to building some more gates next week as I really have been too busy doing other things and didn't have any long lengths of tubing in stock to really test it.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I had a nice long how to typed out and was attaching a picture and it all disappeared. No time to redo it now. PM me if you need some tips I will give you my number, otherwise maybe sometime this weekend I can redo the post.
Shane
cbassjr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cbassjr »

:? I'm going to try rolling some 10' 2" 16 guage next week for a couple of spec gates I'm building. I'm really thinking the HF threader can't be run unless you use only very light pressure on the jack and run a least 2-3 passes between each pressure you put on the jack. That's the way I'm going to start and see if it will not bind up. Thanks for the reply I've attached what I was trying to do and it really didn't work.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

You will need to roll that as one radius, measure and cut it in the middle, then reverse one side to reverse the turn. Only chance in hell you have to get a tubing roller to do that is to cap one end, pack the hell out of it with wet sand (tight) then cap the other end. Then, MAYBE. Quicker to make 2 identical pieces, lay them on top of each other, mark them, cut them both in a band saw at the same time, and weld them back together.

As far as the HF threader or not, you can't use a lot of downforce or you will tear up the steel and dies regardless if you are doing it by hand or not. I will try real hard to get the HOW TO I was working on done this weekend. Lots of good info on there regarding bending pipe and square tubing in particular.

Go SLOW. Retarded slow with the downforce. The jack handle is tiny for a reason. Little down. Roll to one end then back. Little down. Rinse and repeat. Drink beer to keep you lubricated. Oh, and add oil to keep the dies lubricated. :D
Shane
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

Actually, if the 60" number in your top drawing is wrong, and the 4' from one end and the 2' from the other is good and it's really 120" overall, then yeah maybe you can bend that in one piece. You have to have enough room between the bends to span the tubing roller with a flat piece between the bends otherwise it won't work.

Shane
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Shane Warnick wrote:I had a nice long how to typed out and was attaching a picture and it all disappeared. No time to redo it now. PM me if you need some tips I will give you my number, otherwise maybe sometime this weekend I can redo the post.
Shane
So I'm not the only one this has happened to, that one has got me a few times. It always seems to happen when you are doing a long type up. Also if you have a modem dropout you seem to lose everything you typed. Type everything up in MS Word or whatever first then copy and paste, that's my saviour now.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019

Return to “Metal Bending, Rolling, Notching, Drilling, Saw Cutting”