Press Brake

All topics related to bending, forming, notching, drilling, saw cutting, etc.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Press Brake

Post by Metriccar »

I wasted $169 and a few hours of my time (school of hard knocks) buying a press brake for my 20 ton shop press where the bottom die was nothing but a metal C channel I had to weld an angle iron on. No more than a small piece of 1/4" steel plate that was well within the specified max limits apparently bent it. After that 1 piece, I tried some 14 gauge. It came out as wavy as a Pringles potato chip.

I suggest to anyone looking into press brakes, make sure the bottom half of the die is a machined channel, not just angle iron welded onto a c-channel.

I got a new one with the machined bottom half and made 64 bends of 12" length diamond plate 14 gauge. No issues whatsoever. However I don't think I'll be bending diamond plate again. A CNC backgauge and press height sure would come in nice! If not for speed, repeatability.
wilber
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Press Brake

Post by wilber »

what was the name brand so a person knows to sorta steer away from it?
*** DynaTorch Super B 4x8 with a Hypertherm Powermax 65****
kdahep
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kdahep »

I go on ebay and buy drops or shot pieces of dies and punches. Already machined for you and your break is a lot smoother
sodfarmer
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sodfarmer »

I bought one of Swag Off Road press brake kits and have used it alot. Its well built and does what they say it will. Would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to bend heavier pieces. I also have a Bantam 4' 12 ton press brake for thinner material and like it. Didn't like the manual back gauge so I put a CNC back gauge on it. The Bantam has a hard stop for repeatability, once you get it set it pretty precise.
JEd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by JEd »

sodfarmer wrote:I bought one of Swag Off Road press brake kits and have used it alot. Its well built and does what they say it will.
I also have the SWAG kit and have been quite happy with it.
kb3gun
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kb3gun »

I have the Swag heavy duty version and the regular version with finger breaks. I've exceeded the maximums a few times with no problems. They're the best attachments I have for the 20-t press.
-Smitty
Torchmate 4X4 Growth Series w/AVHC
Hypertherm PM45 w/ Machine Torch
Miller Syncrowave 210 TIG
wilber
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by wilber »

how good are the hf 20t press? they really dont look that safe
*** DynaTorch Super B 4x8 with a Hypertherm Powermax 65****
kb3gun
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kb3gun »

Mine's about 6 years old and still working fine. I'm not sure how their current ones are. The arbor plates (cast) are junk, but I replaced them with a 1-3/4" plate I had laying around. The jack is good too, but I replaced mine with the HF air over hydraulic version. I've used mine close to the limit and no bending so far.
-Smitty
Torchmate 4X4 Growth Series w/AVHC
Hypertherm PM45 w/ Machine Torch
Miller Syncrowave 210 TIG

Return to “Metal Bending, Rolling, Notching, Drilling, Saw Cutting”