Various finecut consumables

Information on plasma cutting nozzles, electrodes, and other consumables.
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Various finecut consumables

Post by plasmartist »

I am still relatively new to CNC plasma, I have a hypertherm powermax 85a with duramax full length machine torch on a home built table with candcnc bladerunner electronics. The majority of what I cut has been 10 ga ms using finecut consumables using the part numbers as per the manual i.e. 220948 shield, 220953 cap, 220930 nozzle, 220842 electrode, and 220857 swirl ring. When shopping for consumables I have seen various consumables that I am curious about using, but not sure if they fit my application. I noticed a finecut swirl ring 220947 that the manual doesn't reference. Also noticed a copper plus electrode that my manual doesn't reference, it says it can be used for all processes, can it be used for finecut or mechanized in general? I haven't been having problems as of yet, but do any of these alternates not mentioned in the manual improve anything? Lastly, I noticed that the consumable kits tend to include spare orings and lubricant, how often should orings be replaced and how often should they be lubricated. I have been cutting off and on for 6 months with no problems, but haven't lubricated anything or changed orings. Thanks in advance.
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Various finecut consumables

Post by Old Iron »

There is a thread addressing the issue of a new o-ring and lubricating it to stop a Hypertherm torch from making beveled cuts on here.
I for one had never changed or lubricated the o-ring and after doing so my beveled edge issue disappeared.
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by plasmartist »

I have never bought the actual consumable sets, so I don't have any lubricant. What kind of lubricant is it exactly, would petroleum jelly or lithoplex grease worth just the same. I'm just barely smart enough to wait for others to chime in before I try substituting.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

I believe it is silicone grease. I have some dielectric grease that I have been using. Should be able to find it at the auto parts store.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by plasmartist »

Thats good to hear, I have tons of dielectric
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Best bet is to ask someone from Hypertherm about Hypertherm consumables. Customer service or tech service, or me, Jim Colt ( jim.colt@hypertherm.com ).

- Fine Cut consumables for mechanized cutting. Use the consumables listed in the mechanized cut charts ion your operator manual. I strongly recommend using the 220948 shield with the 220953 retaining cap and ohmic sensing from your height control for best results. If you want longer consumable life use the copper plus electrode. (it works for all power levels, but only to 1/2" thickness, and cost more but provides a lower cost per foot of cut than the standard electrode. The Fine Cut swirl ring is only recommended for hand cutting (that is why it is not listed in the mechanized cut charts) and only recommended for hand cutting if you do a lot of edge starting and experience difficulty getting the arc to transfer to the workpiece. There is no advantage whatsoever for mechanized cutting with the fine cut swirl ring.

- O rings are to seal the retaining cap to the torch body. Inspect the orings periodically and replace if they look damaged or cracked. Most of us do not use oring lubricant, but if you do use it sparingly....do not gob it on the orings (a clean, dirt free, oil free torch will last longer!).

Best regards, Jim Colt

Return to “Plasma Consumables”