Powermax 125 consumables quality issues

Information on plasma cutting nozzles, electrodes, and other consumables.
Dynatorch78
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Powermax 125 consumables quality issues

Post by Dynatorch78 »

purchased a Dynatorch XLS with a powermax 125 in April of 2015. We have been plagued with parts that don't have equal bevels since we got the machine. I rechecked the torch for square and it was. I have done everything under the sun but what I discovered was that the nozzles are not sitting square and center in the ohmic retaining cap. The counter bore in the cap haa been machined wrong. All the parts are genuine Hypertherm from my LWS. Has anyone experienced this before? Are there lot control problems from time to time?
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 125 consumables quality issues

Post by tnbndr »

When I cleaned my table after one year I decided to change out my swirl ring and shield on my PM45 torch just to start out fresh. When I started cutting things were going bad, lost arc while cutting, etc. By process of elimination after I put the old shield back on it started to cut just fine again.
Everything thing looked good with the new shield but something had to be amiss. I only buy Hypertherm parts.
So my conclusion was even Hypertherm has quality control issues from time to time. I am sure you can return the parts to your LWS supplier. I ordered mine online so I am stuck with it.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

If you suspect a quality issue with any Hypertherm part.....it is best to contact Hypertherm tech service or customer service immediately. Describe the issue and the part number....and in most cases they will ask for pictures or for the part to be sent back. It will be evaluated and you will always hear back from them. Posting on these sites is not the best way to report quality issues......if we don't catch the post.....we could keep making bad parts! All consumables have a batch code....so we can track any issues by machines and date of manufacture.

We have been in contact with Dynatorch78, tndnbr, if you contact tech service or customer service....or me directly I will get the process started with your issue! Jim Colt Hypertherm jim.colt@hypertherm.com
Dynatorch78
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Dynatorch78 »

We mailed the consumables back to Hypertherm on Tuesday. Jim has been extremely helpful. I am glad that we purchased a Hypertherm!
My original post was to find out if anyone else had a problem similar to mine. From now on I will contact customer service directly.
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

My post was in no way intended to bash Hypertherm, just to inform the OP that sometimes problems do exist with consumables.
I was not going to pursue my issue unless it occurred again, but I will call support per Jim.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I don't consider the post bashing Hypertherm, in fact Hypertherm goes out of their way to find quality issues and fix them, and institute internal procedures that will minimize the chance of the quality issue from occurring again. Every manufacturing defect is carefully evaluated.....a fix is decided by a team assigned to the project, and all of these quality teams and issues get reviewed by the management team (the president and vice presidents of the company review each case!)

The quicker we get the details, the better. That is why when you find a quality issue you should contact Hypertherm directly. Posting online.....if the issue is ever found by someone from Hypertherm it could be two or more weeks before it is seen.

Hypertherm manufactures a few million consumable parts each month....there are bound to be a few mistakes, though it is our goal to have zero defects.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “Plasma Consumables”