Hypertherm Powermax 30 Consumables Made in USA?

Information on plasma cutting nozzles, electrodes, and other consumables.
larrycameron44
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Hypertherm Powermax 30 Consumables Made in USA?

Post by larrycameron44 »

Hi folks, I just received my new batch of Powermax 30 Consumables for my Powermax 45 and The Made in USA is now been changed to Assembled in USA.
Has anyone noticed this, does anyone know if they are no longer made in the good ol USA?

Larry Cameron
New Zealand
RusticMetalArt

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Hypertherm Powermax 30 Consumables Made in USA?

Post by little blue choo »

This looks like a question for Jim from Hypertherm. The answer could be a good one. I'll be watching.
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

I had to order a new torch body kit for my PM45 machine torch from my state Hypertherm distributor here in Oz, came in from Singapore. Image
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

What doesn't make sense to me is why would you pay someone else to cut your electrode then ship them to the USA so that here they can insert the tungsten. Seems like a waste of resources. If you trust the company enough to turn your parts might as well have them put the tungsten in to finish the job.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The invitation is open, come visit me at Hypertherm Inc., 71 Heater Road, Lebanon, NH, USA......you can watch us manufacture the torches and consumables for all of the Powermax units! We do source components and raw materials globally....so we changed the wording to assembled in USA accordingly. I know some of our copper used in consumables has origin outside the USA, as do many other materials.

We have distribution centers in Singapore, in China, In the Netherlands......so shipments do not always come directly from the U.S.

I have no doubt that someday as global volumes increase for our equipment that we may start manufacturing some items closer to their use...it only makes sense. As of now...all of the parts pictured in this thread are made in either Hanover NH or Lebanon NH in one of our 13 different buildings within an 8 mile radius....in the USA!
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I would love to see how you guys shove tungsten into the electrode.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
larrycameron44
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by larrycameron44 »

jimcolt wrote:The invitation is open, come visit me at Hypertherm Inc., 71 Heater Road, Lebanon, NH, USA......you can watch us manufacture the torches and consumables for all of the Powermax units! We do source components and raw materials globally....so we changed the wording to assembled in USA accordingly. I know some of our copper used in consumables has origin outside the USA, as do many other materials.

We have distribution centers in Singapore, in China, In the Netherlands......so shipments do not always come directly from the U.S.

I have no doubt that someday as global volumes increase for our equipment that we may start manufacturing some items closer to their use...it only makes sense. As of now...all of the parts pictured in this thread are made in either Hanover NH or Lebanon NH in one of our 13 different buildings within an 8 mile radius....in the USA!

Excellent, all questions answered, thank you Mr Colt ( Mr Plasma) :D

Larry
NZ
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Tungsten electrodes (only used with non-oxidizing gases on our industrial liquid cooled torches) are automatically inserted (robotic) into the electrode blank then induction brazed between the tungsten and copper. Final machining and laser marking and packaging comes next.

Hafnium electrodes (air plasma....such as all Powermax electrodes) are blanked (first phase machining) then loaded into a robotic fixture that uses compressed air to insert the hafnium slug, then a proprietary swaging process (we won't divulge details here!) ensures a good thermal and electrical bond between copper and hafnium (brazing is not possible)...after the insertion / swaging final machining and laser marking and packaging is done. Most of this is highly automated. Pretty interesting to watch....one of the best jobs (my opinion) is being a manufacturing engineer for Hypertherm. Always developing new manufacturing technology and fixtures that improve accuracy, quality and productivity of our processes. There are a number of areas on our consumables manufacturing floors that we allow no photos....no need to let the competition know how we do some things...

Jim

gamble wrote:I would love to see how you guys shove tungsten into the electrode.

Return to “Plasma Consumables”