What is acceptable consumable wear? Pics inside

Information on plasma cutting nozzles, electrodes, and other consumables.
shiner2001
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

What is acceptable consumable wear? Pics inside

Post by shiner2001 »

I have had my BurnTables 4x2 for a couple weeks now and have finally got it somewhat near dialed in as far as the THC goes. I haven't done much cutting with it in the big picture, basically several straight lines and some small circles and squares, nowhere near production levels, just some trials. Anyway, during that process, I know I've cut too close to the metal several times and drug the tip, so it got me to wondering what acceptable wear on the various consumables is.

So where do these fall as far as acceptable wear? I know the answer is probably "change them when they affect your cut quality," but since I'm still fine tuning my machine I'm all over the place with cut quality right now.
IMG_1249.JPG
IMG_1250.JPG
IMG_1251.JPG
Also, anyone have a recommendation on where to order consumables from for the best price?

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Derek
Precision Plasma LD 4x8
CandCNC BladeRunner EtherCut Mark IV
HT PM 45
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: What is acceptable consumable wear? Pics inside

Post by muzza »

In picture order, (in my opinion)

Your nozzle is well past usable. One bad pierce or plate touch is enough to kill it. Hole should be pretty much perfectly round to get a good cut. Slightly out of round you can still get by on light gauge but on plate will show a taper. Worn like yours, you could probably chew through it cleaner.

The hole in your shroud is out of round so to produce perfect cuts should be replaced but in order to continue trying to dial your setup in I'd say keep using it but expect a bit of taper on the cut where the damage on the shroud is. I'd clean out the eight air holes around the outside too to keep the cut as clean as possible.

Your electrode looks to have fairly normal wear pattern and would still be serviceable

Bear in mind that any wear will effect your cut. The pierce is where most of your nozzle damage is done, that's why correct height settings are so critical. Also having the amperage too high for travel speed also kills your consumables.

In my experience I've found it cheaper to change out consumable a bit early rather than spoil a job but that's just me.
Murray
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

It looks to me that you are using Hypertherm from the consumables, and if so, it looks to me that your nozzle is the gouging nozzle and not the cutting one. difference being that it allows for a wider plasma arc, and not so straight of a cut. The opening just looks really wide on it.

The shield, again is damaged beyond repair, a lot of times I might clean the surface with a file, but yours is far beyond being able to be dressed. As previously mentioned it will cause for out of round holes and irregular cut profile.

The electrode is past its considered useful range in my opinion. I believe the standard is that if the divot is greater than 1/32" then it needs replacing. However, the electrode wear does seem to have a normal profile.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
shiner2001
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by shiner2001 »

Thanks for all the info guys. Just for conversation's sake, these were new with the machine torch I bought with the table. Very very light usage. Time to place an order it sounds like. I did have a couple extra parts that came with my HT, so I'm good for a few days I suppose.
Derek
Precision Plasma LD 4x8
CandCNC BladeRunner EtherCut Mark IV
HT PM 45
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

shiner2001 wrote:Thanks for all the info guys. Just for conversation's sake, these were new with the machine torch I bought with the table. Very very light usage. Time to place an order it sounds like. I did have a couple extra parts that came with my HT, so I'm good for a few days I suppose.
I would look into if the nozzle is correct for cutting, when I purchased mine it came with several for both cutting and gouging.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

I'm just getting started myself and would change consumables when cut quality was beginning to suffer. I have a bunch of electrodes that are used one degree to another. I'd say your electrode is about almost done. You may be able to get a little out of it but not much. The nozzle? Don't even know how it would operate like that.

If you just saved all your consumables you may be able to compare and see about when things are worn out what they look like. I seem to go through more electrodes than anything. Shields not so much.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

As a last resort....you can always open up your operators manual to the section called "Inspecting consumables"

I have copied and pasted it here. The nozzle in the previous picture is junk...the shield is junk.....damage on both is from piercing way too close to the plate. This is relatively common with a new user....or with someone that is doing cnc cutting without a properly functioning height control. The electrode looks normal and is only partially worn.

Jim Colt
consumables inspection.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Railmen
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Railmen »

shiner2001 wrote:I have had my BurnTables 4x2 for a couple weeks now and have finally got it somewhat near dialed in as far as the THC goes. I haven't done much cutting with it in the big picture, basically several straight lines and some small circles and squares, nowhere near production levels, just some trials. Anyway, during that process, I know I've cut too close to the metal several times and drug the tip, so it got me to wondering what acceptable wear on the various consumables is.

So where do these fall as far as acceptable wear? I know the answer is probably "change them when they affect your cut quality," but since I'm still fine tuning my machine I'm all over the place with cut quality right now.
IMG_1251.JPG
Also, anyone have a recommendation on where to order consumables from for the best price?
By the look of your electrode, looks like maybe you have a problem with moisture in your air, if you look at the end with the swirl burn marks I do believe that is from the arc shorting to the nozzle causing those burn marks, I maybe wrong I'm sure if I am Jim will set me straight, I used to get them once and awhile but since I put in a air dryer and a long hose to get the air dry for the cutter.

Railmen
Corfabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Corfabrication »

jimcolt wrote:As a last resort....you can always open up your operators manual to the section called "Inspecting consumables"

I have copied and pasted it here. The nozzle in the previous picture is junk...the shield is junk.....damage on both is from piercing way too close to the plate. This is relatively common with a new user....or with someone that is doing cnc cutting without a properly functioning height control. The electrode looks normal and is only partially worn.

Jim Colt
consumables inspection.jpg
Meh, who the hell needs to read instructions?
Lol.

Return to “Plasma Consumables”