Consumable Life Expectancy

Information on plasma cutting nozzles, electrodes, and other consumables.
Plasma_Spaz
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Consumable Life Expectancy

Post by Plasma_Spaz »

I'm looking into cutting tables and plasma cutters. I found a great table from ShopSabre but I'm not sure what cutter I should choose. I'm torn between the Hyperthem Powermax 45 with a machine torch and the Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster A60. I've heard plenty of great things about both but my main concern is consumable costs. How often do tips, electrodes, nozzels and other things like that have to be changed on each machine and how could I get them to last longer? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Consumable Life Expectancy

Post by abmagrum »

if you want consumable life you have to step up one to the hypertherm 65
and run fine cuts.
hate to tell you this but there is no comparison to the hypertherm :)
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
Plasma_Spaz
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Plasma_Spaz »

Yeah I figured Hypertherm would be my best bet but it would be nice to now how often I would have to change electrodes and what not. I want to know how the cost of consumables would add up over the course a year or so of use. If it helps at all I would mainly be cutting 14 gauge steel.
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Jim Colt can give you the best but still vauge answer to your question. A new tip can cut 1000s of inches, its the pierces that kill the cosumables, cut height, speed etc they all play a part. Any out of spec will shorten life very quickly. I don't know how long mine last some seem a long time others not so long. But when they get bad its in the middle of a big part that you hate to screw up.
I know this aint the answer you wanted, but its the best I have.
Hope it helps
Mike
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

As Mike said, too many variables to give an accurate answer and not real sure that either Hypertherm or Thermal Dynamics consumables last longer than each other. I cut pretty much full time and probably spend on average about $200 to $250 per month on consumables. (I'm in Oz so consumables are a lot dearer than US) Most of my cutting is on 16 gauge but I do cut up to 3/8". A job I put through this week was for 80 signs in 16 gauge, going by Sheetcam job report there was 3280 pierces and 26,850 inches of cutting. I also had to do a few other jobs in between on 1/8" and 1/4" and the consumables are still the same set I started with. I have other days where I might have to swap out nozzle and electrode a couple of times. If the job was on heavier gauge and taper was critical I probably would have changed out the nozzle at least if not nozzle and electrode a couple of times.

If you have moisture in your air or no height control expect to spend a whole lot more on consumables.

Pretty vague answer I know but best I can offer.
Murray
M & N Steel CNC
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by M & N Steel CNC »

You will need to get an air dryer, I was going thru a tip every 2 20inch sqr cuts and an electrode after 4 cuts, got an air dryer and WOW, I cut so many Christmas gifts with one tip, about 2 full sheets of metal and cannot remember the last time I changed and electrode.
PlasmaRoute CNC 4 x 4
Corel Draw X5
SheetCam

Baileigh 12 gauge 40 inch box brake
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

We cut a LOT of 3/16" plate with a Hypertherm Powermax 65 and occasionally figure up the number of pierces and we've gotten 1000 to 1200 several times. The same when we had a Hypertherm 1000.

Allen

Return to “Plasma Consumables”