PW30 consumables on a 45

Information on plasma cutting nozzles, electrodes, and other consumables.
6pt
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

PW30 consumables on a 45

Post by 6pt »

I've searched the forum and can't find out whether I need the optional shield to use Powermax 30 consumables on a 45. Also nothing in the manual.........It's just listed as optional but my torch doesn't want to fire on the new Arclight............Thank you for all the great posts!
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: PW30 consumables on a 45

Post by jimcolt »

There is an entire page with pictures and part numbers for the 30 amp Powermax 30 consumables in your Powermax45 operators manual.

You need all of the parts listed / pictured. Follow the chart cut speeds, heights and it will work well for you. The attached pictures are from the operators manual. You do not need the deflector if that is what you are referring to...

Jim Colt
30amp consumables.png
30ampcut chart.png

6pt wrote:I've searched the forum and can't find out whether I need the optional shield to use Powermax 30 consumables on a 45. Also nothing in the manual.........It's just listed as optional but my torch doesn't want to fire on the new Arclight............Thank you for all the great posts!

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

6pt
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by 6pt »

Thanks Jim for the reply.....yes I was referring to the deflector shield. I still have a hiccup in my knowledge (or a bunch) and can't get it to fire automatically. I'm very new to all this so I just need to research and learn and the answers will come, I'm confident. Thank you again.
Erie Canal Fabworx
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Erie Canal Fabworx »

Jim I am confused about the ohmic retaining cap. Do I have to get another sized cap?? Thanks
dustywill
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by dustywill »

Erie Canal Fabworx wrote:Jim I am confused about the ohmic retaining cap. Do I have to get another sized cap?? Thanks
I think I can answer this one. I asked this when I bought the ohmic sensor. There is not an ohmic cap for the 30 amp consumables. I wish there were. I'm having great results with them. That os the main reason O have not installed the ohmic sensor on my shelf yet. I will say I don't think it would be a huge deal to retro fit a part with a tab for the ohmic sensor.
Precision Plasma 4x8 v-rail
C&CNC dragon cut 620
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Auburn, AL
www.facebook.com/decorativemetalworks
Erie Canal Fabworx
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Erie Canal Fabworx »

Thanks Dusty that will be todays job see if I can get Ohmic with the 30 tip
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

You can hose clamp a stiff piece of copper wire to the T30 retaining cap with a wire terminal (to connect to the ohmic electronics) on the top, trim the bottom of the wire to extend about .010" past the end of the nozzle. Many have adapted the standard cap for ohmic sensing.

Hypertherm does not recommend the Powermax30 for mechanized cutting, therefore does not make an ohmic retaining cap for it. Regardless, there are many people using the Powermax30 (and 30XP) for mechanized cutting of thin materials with excellent results.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

I was able to cut up to 1/4" material quite well with my lightly modified PM30.
I would recommend using a better suited machine but if it is what you have it is what you have...
Such was my case... Now I am using a PM65 083300 (comes with hand torch and machine torch) and the difference on thick material is night and day, still learning on thinner stuff.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Excellent info everyone. So timely to my needs right now!
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG

Return to “Plasma Consumables”