EUREKA!!! The idea for dross and slag removal worked!!

Learn and share dross removal techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
twk
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

EUREKA!!! The idea for dross and slag removal worked!!

Post by twk »

Hiya all! I've been a member for awhile now and really appreciate all of you.
I cut a lot of smaller pieces and I have a "tumbler" but can't stand the noise. I got
Really tired of nicking my fingers with wire wheels and throwing the resulting "shrapnel"
Into the jewels... :oops: So I tried to figure out what I could use as a work hold down
other than my hands or time consuming clamps. After much thought I bought a permanent
Magnetic chuck. They are used in surface grinding applications and once I turn the handle
it has no problem handling a handheld grinder with a wire brush at full speed. The parts hold
tight until I turn the handle to release the magnets.
I also bought a leather apron for the shrapnel.
Anyway, hope this helps someone keep their digits and saves
them some time. I know it's been a godsend for me.
Cheers,
Treavor
kb3gun
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: EUREKA!!! The idea for dross and slag removal worked!!

Post by kb3gun »

Great idea!
-Smitty
Torchmate 4X4 Growth Series w/AVHC
Hypertherm PM45 w/ Machine Torch
Miller Syncrowave 210 TIG
Xalky
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Xalky »

I have a magnetic chuck that i got with a lot of machinist tools. I don't have a surface grinder, so it's just been sitting on a shelf. I'm glad i saw this post. I already used it. Works great.

The only caveat is that theres a real good chance that the magnetic chuck will not be usable for precision surface grinding ever again, because its almost impossible to avoid nicking the surface with the hand grinder.

Marcel
Craig
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Craig »

I use a lift magnet from, http://magnetics.com/product.asp?ProductID=6 I turn it upside down and tighten the handle in the vise. Because of the ribs you can easily pop out pieces with a pencil or stick. But be careful, magnets will lose their strength if they get to hot. I use my air compressor and a magnetic base on one of those flexible hoses used to direct collant on mills and lathes.

Craig Johnson

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Craig Johnson

Return to “Dross/Slag Removal”