What do you use to hold your muratic acid mix in ?

Learn and share dross removal techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Sampson Jones
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

What do you use to hold your muratic acid mix in ?

Post by Sampson Jones »

I would like to have a 4 ft x 4 ft dipping pan/tank for my muratic acid mixture . So , far plastic 4x4 trays seem hard to find . Anybody got any ideas or pictures on what your using ?
My design , 4ft x 8 ft water table
CandCNC electronics
Hypertherm powermax 65
Command Lineux
Super z 2
Sheetcam
Inkscape and corel draw
mike66
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: What do you use to hold your muratic acid mix in ?

Post by mike66 »

I built my tank out of treated 2''x6'' and treated 3/4 plywood(since it is outside) and lined it with shower pan liner.That's a flexible gray heavy duty pvc product( got mine at home depot) 5' wide and about 7' long let build a 4'x 5' tank.

mike66
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

I use this i just cut the top off and built a new cover for it and it works great. You can try a place that sells chemical in your area they might have some used one cheap.
hobbyrobbie
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by hobbyrobbie »

This is exactly what we use.....my bright idea. Works like a charm!
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

As for the 250 gal chem tote if you live near a farm area check with some of them. Most do not want the totes back and they are of no use for water because of the chem that have been in them.
may trade the farmer a cutting job or a sign for a used toe.
Just my 2 cents worth
Mike
pony
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by pony »

Check your local Craigslist. These types of tanks, listed in my area from $90, are almost 4ft square.
You typically pay more for one that has been used to store food grade products:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/grd/2872034337.html
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/grd/2917109359.html
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

Wicked, how did you build the new top?
Thanks, Dawg
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

I cut about 3/4 of the top out and made a cover out of 20 gauge sheetmetal i had left over from my powder coating oven.I just slide it back and forth when i use it so i dont have to remove it.
Sampson Jones

Post by Sampson Jones »

You guys inspired me.I got a free tank, cut it down with a sawzall and a grinding disc. I riveted the top part of the plastic to the tank cage. Then I made a lockable top.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

My design , 4ft x 8 ft water table
CandCNC electronics
Hypertherm powermax 65
Command Lineux
Super z 2
Sheetcam
Inkscape and corel draw
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

Looks good!
larrycameron44
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by larrycameron44 »

I use sodium bisulphate, bought 25kg for $6.00 bucks off a person who had way too much.
If I leave a steel part in overnight, it is dross free, in the morning, Just wipe with a rag and then I dip it in baking soda water mix which I keep in 2 15 gallon plastic rubbish bins.
Works 100% everytime.
My mix was a guess, I suppose I put approx 6 pounds of the sodium bisulphate in and fill with water.....no I put the water in first!

Larry
NZ
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by steelfx »

larrycameron44 wrote:I use sodium bisulphate, bought 25kg for $6.00 bucks off a person who had way too much.
If I leave a steel part in overnight, it is dross free, in the morning, Just wipe with a rag and then I dip it in baking soda water mix which I keep in 2 15 gallon plastic rubbish bins.
Works 100% everytime.
My mix was a guess, I suppose I put approx 6 pounds of the sodium bisulphate in and fill with water.....no I put the water in first!

Larry
NZ
:!: Please be careful. :!: Sodium Bisulfate & Water is essentially Sulfuric Acid. The strength of which is determined by how much Sodium Bisulfate is added to the water. It's extremely reactive with all bases (alkalis) & metals, especially non-ferrous metal such as bronze, aluminum, SS, or copper. When some metals are introduced to the solution it releases hydrogen gas which as you all know is extremely explosive!

Muriatic Acid (Hydrochloric Acid) is somewhat less exothermic (doesn't create heat in the presence of water or metal) and has a very strong odor, which in my opinion, helps keep us safer. The odor reminds us to use proper PPE, work in a well-ventilated area, etc.

Sodium Bisulfate & Water (Sulfuric Acid aka Battery Acid) is basically odorless.
Odorless doesn't always mean it's safer.
Nitric Acid is odorless & inhalation and/or exposure to it over a relatively short time can be very dangerous.
rtsplace
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rtsplace »

I use the muratic acis mix 50/50 works really well, for a tub or pan I lately went to an AG store Fleet Farm in my area and bought there largest hoof bath for cows horses. It's roughly 4'X8' then glued rubber roofing to a sheet of 2" pink high density foam, leaving 4"-6" overhang on all sides (to help contain fumes) for a seal. What's neat about acid in doesn't freeze either, I had a small tub outside last winter in a special bench I made from wood, even at 0 degrees I was still using it.
Ray
cjdauthier
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cjdauthier »

This is real tough.... Go to toys r us... Or wal mart....buy red crab sandbox. Comes with a lid and is th largest I have found. $35. Been using it for better than a year now....works great. 8 gallons of acid to 8 gallons water... It makes a bath about 5" deep.
larrycameron44
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by larrycameron44 »

steelfx wrote:
larrycameron44 wrote:I use sodium bisulphate, bought 25kg for $6.00 bucks off a person who had way too much.
Works 100% everytime.

Larry
NZ
:!: Please be careful. :!: Sodium Bisulfate & Water is essentially Sulfuric Acid. The strength of which is determined by how much Sodium Bisulfate is added to the water. It's extremely reactive with all bases (alkalis) & metals, especially non-ferrous metal such as bronze, aluminum, SS, or copper. When some metals are introduced to the solution it releases hydrogen gas which as you all know is extremely explosive!

Muriatic Acid (Hydrochloric Acid) is somewhat less exothermic (doesn't create heat in the presence of water or metal) and has a very strong odor, which in my opinion, helps keep us safer. The odor reminds us to use proper PPE, work in a well-ventilated area, etc.

Sodium Bisulfate & Water (Sulfuric Acid aka Battery Acid) is basically odorless.
Odorless doesn't always mean it's safer.
Nitric Acid is odorless & inhalation and/or exposure to it over a relatively short time can be very dangerous.
Hmmm.. my understanding is that if you mix sodium bisulphate and sodium trioxide together you get Sulphuric acid.
Mine is just Sodium Bisulphate and water, its not a concentrated solution.
I think the formula is something like this "NaHSO4 + SO3 = H2SO4

Then next to it is a bucket of baking soda and water to neutralize and stop anything rusting.

I have been using this for over a year now and you can, like I always have diped my fingers in it, hell my whole arm has been in it.
It does not seem to be that acidic at all. If you have a cut, it may very lightly sting a little but it loves dross :-)

Larry
NZ
metalworxfabricators
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by metalworxfabricators »

Long time s/s kitchen equipment mechanic/ installer, but new to the cnc plasma world. I am learning so much from just reading all the questions and responses. I have some questions regarding use of the muratic acid.

1. Do you use rubber gloves to put stuff in and out of the tank?
2. How do you neutralize the solution on the metal once you remove it from the tank?
3. How long will the solution last before replacement is needed?

Thanks for all the information,

Metalworx
Misguided Creator
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Misguided Creator »

It's always recomended to wear gloves, safety gasses or face shield, and respirator for use of any type of acid, but Muratic is farely mild. Just keep it outside or in a WELL ventilated area, and try not to breathe it. I've handled it several times without gloves and haven't had any issues, as long I wash my hand afterwards, or when I put my pieces in the baking soda/water rinse (1 lbs per 5 gal./water or so), to neutralize the acid, I just rinse my hands in it as well. It is better and safer to wear glove and eye protection regardless tho. You'll notice it taking longer to clean your pieces, after a few months, then you'll know when to refresh your mix. Hope this helps
metalworxfabricators
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by metalworxfabricators »

Thanks for the answers regarding use of muratic acid. I appreciate your time.

Regards,
Metalworx Fabricators
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

I use rubber gloves. I put my hand in once when I had some small scratches and yowzers!!! It can burn. :) It washes off very easily and I immediately dipped my hand in some soda water which neutralized it very quickly. It's not bad, but can sting with small cuts. I always use heavy duty rubber gloves now and haven't had any problems at all since.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

I have not tried it, and it may be cumbersome, or simply send the wrong message to kids, so cover it well, but a kiddie swimming pool would be convenient. Possibly too round?
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
RevvedAC
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by RevvedAC »

I'm looking for a bin big enough to hold a 24"x24" piece that has a sealable lid? I'd like to keep the acid mix in the same container for storage. I've spent some time googling and going through the search here on Plasmaspider and haven't found anything so I figured I'd ask.

Any suggestions?
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Same here, still looking . . .

Steve :D
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I have used 2 sizes of black tubs from Home Depot cheap and clean out easy
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Blac ... /205451585
Kid pool with black plastic and a form inside to reduce the size wolley world for less then $10.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
shinertx

Post by shinertx »

the 250 gallons totes work great, they have a drain valve already built into them.
Samson 5x10
Designedge software
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Hypertherm powermax 380
Thermodynamics cut master 85
Jet 4' box & pan break
Eastwood Powder coating guns.
shinertx

Post by shinertx »

Sampson Jones wrote:You guys inspired me.I got a free tank, cut it down with a sawzall and a grinding disc. I riveted the top part of the plastic to the tank cage. Then I made a lockable top.
so do you have a frame built around the tote it self or does the lid just sit on one of the rails from the tote. if you can
would you take a picture of the lid open.
Samson 5x10
Designedge software
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Hypertherm powermax 380
Thermodynamics cut master 85
Jet 4' box & pan break
Eastwood Powder coating guns.

Return to “Dross/Slag Removal”