new to metal art

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
strawn52
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

new to metal art

Post by strawn52 »

im just getting into finally cutting nice images, im wanting to know how you prep your metal for coloring, from table to sale... also im wanting to experiment with the chemical that coppers it and the one that blackens it... do you have to thin the clear coat before you spray it?(i have a spray gun but have never used it)

Thanks Dalton
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: new to metal art

Post by steelfx »

strawn52 wrote:im just getting into finally cutting nice images, im wanting to know how you prep your metal for coloring, from table to sale... also im wanting to experiment with the chemical that coppers it and the one that blackens it... do you have to thin the clear coat before you spray it?(i have a spray gun but have never used it)

Thanks Dalton
Dalton,

A quality clear-coat doesn't require thinning. It is usually a 4:1 mix of Clear & Activator. If you're using an automotive top-coat (clear), you'll get the best results with a gun that has a 1.3mm needle & fluid tip.
Check out the videos on my site for the "how-to" part of metal prep for patinas and/or clear-coating.

Bill
strawn52
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: new to metal art

Post by strawn52 »

Thankyou verry much for the information! it helps a lot

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”