steel fx ??????

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
glgsales
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: steel fx ??????

Post by glgsales »

steelfx wrote:First, I am working on bottling some 16 oz. starter kits and I think I'll offer the kits in 2 or 3 different combinations.

Secondly, if your steel is clean BEFORE the patinas are applied, there is NO FURTHER CLEANING REQUIRED after the patina has been applied and force-dried with shop-air. The only step required is to tack rag the inevitable small amount of flash-rust from the surface right before you apply the clear-coat. "Fish-Eye" is from one of two things: moisture or oil.
Bill
How long before you spray your clear coat after patinaing?

After polishing the steel, I always handle the piece by the edges, to avoid any skin/oil contact with the surface. And, I do NOT wear cloth gloves due to the fact that they almost always transfer lint or contaminants to the steel.

I noticed some bare steel showing in a few spots on the Moose Scene, especially near the right front leg. This happens only when the the Torch FX is left on too long & the Water Rinsing is too forceful. The proper way to rinse is more like watering pansies, not putting out a brush fire. :)

I used a limp wrist when a sprayed it off does that count....lol
Would a bug spray work betterwith water in it?

It's like anything else: practice makes perfect. (and the proper tack rags are for sale on my site)...they're cheap & they work like a dream.

One last thing: If you use the Clear-Coat that I recommend, you'll only need one coat. It will give you a deep, high-gloss, wet look. If you're still using rattle-can clear, then be prepared for problems & a finished product that
is less than you deserve. The Product? PPG Deltron DC-3000 High Velocity, Polystyrene, Fast-Drying, Excellent Flow-Out.

When we do more than one piece we usually use automotive grade clear urethane 2 stage ,but that is expensive to use in a high school enviroment Bill. Much easirer to use the spray can for single projects and learn how to get the patinas we want.
you are right it takes some time and care , :mrgreen:

thanks,

Bill
Steel FX
minnfatz
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by minnfatz »

So Bill, if I want to clear coat my copper F/X, I need to have a real spray paint set up and not just a rattle can?
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by steelfx »

minnfatz wrote:So Bill, if I want to clear coat my copper F/X, I need to have a real spray paint set up and not just a rattle can?
It's always preferable to use a high quality product if you want the ultimate results. Single Stage Clear coat (rattle can),
by it's very nature is highly viscous and requires 3-4 light coats. Compatibility issues exist also.

That's precisely why I use a Clear-Coat that goes on heavy in one-coat, dries very quickly & looks deep & ultra-clear.
It also has UV inhibitors which enable your piece to be used indoors OR outdoors. Clear PC (90% Gloss) or Deltron DC3000 is much preferred over the other choices out there.

There have been many times where I cut, patina'd, clear-coated, IR baked & shipped product in the same day.
You simply cannot do that using inferior products.

thanks,

Bill
Steel FX
Dustan
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dustan »

Any word on getting this stuff in Canada :?:
Krazy Kutz metal designs
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Dustan wrote:Any word on getting this stuff in Canada :?:
Not yet, I'll post here as soon as I find out. I do know that there is a shipping broker involved which may add as much
as $40 to each shipment. It might be cheaper for you to move to the States! :D
runninwild400
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by runninwild400 »

I'd be interested also if it could be shipped to Canada, moving to the states would also save me money on beer :D ,,but then I would drink more, so I'd be back to square one again :(
Brian
Metal-Magic
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

:D :D :D
parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by parrotlady »

Yes, there is no doubt it will be expensive to get it to Canada. I placed an order with Sculpt Nouveau about a month ago, and the total was $320. Then I had to pay shipping, customs brokerage, and HST and the total when it was said and done was a $480. Keep in mind that this was NOT 1 gallon jugs.. rather a bunch of 8oz bottles, so I can only imagine it will be even more than that. What Bill needs is a Canadian manufacturer.... pick me, pick me!! :)
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

parrotlady wrote:Yes, there is no doubt it will be expensive to get it to Canada. I placed an order with Sculpt Nouveau about a month ago, and the total was $320. Then I had to pay shipping, customs brokerage, and HST and the total when it was said and done was a $480. Keep in mind that this was NOT 1 gallon jugs.. rather a bunch of 8oz bottles, so I can only imagine it will be even more than that. What Bill needs is a Canadian manufacturer.... pick me, pick me!! :)
I've considered that, too. At this point, I'm about 90%+ sure I'll meet the shipping requirements & have good news in the near future. If not, we'll talk. Any idea how many CNC plasma-table hobbyists and/or Metal Artisans in Canada? :idea:
parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by parrotlady »

It's tough to say how many CNC metal artists are in Canada, but I do know for sure that where I live is "land of the artisans" for sure. There are SOOOO many artists in my area alone. We live in a high end tourist area so i suspect you would be able to tap into this market as well (jewelery, stained glass etc.) I imagine small bottles would be popular. I do think you would do really well because we all have the ability to buy from the States, and right now the dollar is good, but there has been times I have paid exactly double for products. If you had a supplier here, I think you would have the Canadian market cornered. Even if you dont, I think you will do well enough to warrant the time and money invested in the politics of shipment. Can't wait to hear what you find out :)

April
ironhorse
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ironhorse »

Yea, we are all over in every province. There are probably many that don't even know about these forums. There are companies building plasma tables in Canada as well. I am sure you will be pleased with sales once you enter our market.
Maybe try a google search for plasma art Canada or plasma table manufactures in Canada?

Greg
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Whether there's only 20 or more than 20,000 Metal Artisans in Canada, I'm still going to do my best to untangle the red-tape & be able to ship there! Should know in the next few days.

Bill
ironhorse

Post by ironhorse »

You are awesome sir, thank you:-)
Dustan
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dustan »

my table was from FASTCUT CNC and I can tell you for sure I know of many metal artisted in saskatchewan alone that do what we do and we dont want your products we NEED your products its the answer for me to make my work POP instead of flat black most of the time. good luck with gettin it to us thanks steel fx 8-)

oh one more thing?? I was wondering how long will say a gallon of copperfx or torchfx for say last how much does it take for each peice just curius :?:
Krazy Kutz metal designs
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Dustan wrote:my table was from FASTCUT CNC and I can tell you for sure I know of many metal artisted in saskatchewan alone that do what we do and we dont want your products we NEED your products its the answer for me to make my work POP instead of flat black most of the time. good luck with gettin it to us thanks steel fx 8-)

oh one more thing?? I was wondering how long will say a gallon of copperfx or torchfx for say last how much does it take for each peice just curius :?:
GOOD NEWS~!
Steel FX Patinas have been approved for International Ground Shipment. There are still a couple of details to work out:
I need you or anyone from Canada to email me at: bill@steelf-x.com with your name and complete address.

I will run that address to determine shipping costs, then build that into my website checkout procedure.

You can order from http://www.steelf-x.com/Supplies.html now, but will receive an additional email notice of broker charges & the shipping cost difference between Canada & the closest U.S. Zone. It's gonna be a little tricky until I have a few Canadian addresses to run costs.

To answer your question about coverage, each patina is different, but a good rule of thumb is 200 sq. ft. per gallon.

thanks,

Bill
Dustan
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dustan »

on it 8-)
Krazy Kutz metal designs
parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by parrotlady »

emailing you right now!
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Eagle Mtn Metal Works »

Hey Bill
Are you ready for this :lol: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Rod S in AZ
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

I think so! (i hope so) :o
Creedo16
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Creedo16 »

Fantastic ! email sent !
Dustan
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dustan »

Eagle Mtn D&D wrote:Hey Bill
Are you ready for this :lol: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
what we gettin ready for I am on pins and needels :lol:
Krazy Kutz metal designs
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

To all my friends in Canada,

Thanks for the emails and addresses. I've run several shipping scenarios & crunched all the numbers til I got dizzy.
You can now buy and checkout online, complete with all shipping charges, HST, duties, brokerage fees included.

I'd be very, very surprised to get ANY orders from Canada due to the shipping charges.

I apologize I couldn't do any better than 68%...

:oops:

Bill
Dustan
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dustan »

well you can count on me ordering some wont be big orders but will without a doubt be ordering soon thanks a bunch Bill 8-)
Krazy Kutz metal designs
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Dustan wrote:well you can count on me ordering some wont be big orders but will without a doubt be ordering soon thanks a bunch Bill 8-)
I'll keep pursuing different angles to get the shipping costs down. I'm not pleased with 68% and wouldn't expect
anyone to be pleased with that. Maybe I'll learn how to fly a helicopter! :!:

Thanks!

Bill
Dustan
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dustan »

so I definately want some copper fx is there anything else I should get with it to make it better or will I be fine with just ordering a gallon of copper fx on its own
Krazy Kutz metal designs

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”