Paint finish price check?

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
Wheatfarmer
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Paint finish price check?

Post by Wheatfarmer »

I am not comfortable finishing my metal signs quite yet. So I have an auto body shop paint them for me. I have a 3’ by 4’ oval I was quoted $300 to paint and clear coat it. Just seeing if that is in line. This pretty much doubles the cost of the sign.
Thanks
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Paint finish price check?

Post by little blue choo »

This would depend on a lot of factors. Are they prepping the metal, clean and degrease, sand the metal and prime, how many coats of base coat, how many colors are being used, if more than one color how much taping and masking is required between colors, how many coats of clear and the quality of paint being used, will they be doing any wet sanding and buffing. I just repainted one of my show cars and the clear I used was $300 per gallon. If it is a custom sign that will be viewed by the public you should get professional help for now but I would suggest you purchase a good mid priced gun and start learning to paint. You should watch a lot of the you tube videos on how to set up your gun and how to spray. It's really not all that hard to get a good finish. If you mess up (and you will) set it aside let it dry and come back later and wet sand the defect and then hit the rest of it lightly, wash, dry and recoat it. The main thing is don't get frustrated just keep trying to improve and things will soon get better.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Bobkovacs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bobkovacs »

Seeing how the sign is tying up their paint booth while it cures, and keeping them from doing something larger (like a car), I'm not surprised at their price.
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

Try bartering. We cut stuff for the body shop guys in return for painting/clearcoating. A win/win for everybody.

Allen

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”