Rattle can paint finishes

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
clswans
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Rattle can paint finishes

Post by clswans »

I have two 27 x 36 inch piece of metal that I need to paint. I tried painting the back of one with Krylon CoverMaxx Flat black, but due to the overspray, it came out very grainy. With a piece of metal this big, it seems the paint is drying so fast that any dry overspray is falling onto the wet paint and ruining the part you previously painted. One other note, I am laying the material flat to paint it. This is part of a 3D layered item, so I really need to figure this out as I still have three other pieces of metal the same size that have to be painted as well. I feel the size of this piece is the problem as I have used this paint from day one and have had pretty good results except when it was too hot to spray. I had the same grainy problem then. Today it is only 77 degrees F and the humidity is 54%. Does anyone have any advice on using the Krylon or, what are others using in a paint that can be sprayed either in a rattle can or in an HVLP gun? Any advice is appreciated.
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Rattle can paint finishes

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

I lay my projects flat as well when doing the clear top coat. When using a spray can on a larger area I find I have better results when I start at one side and spray the length with the can pointed on an angle of about 45 degrees to the surface. The spray is directed towards the area in which I will be covering and not pointed towards the area I have just coated. This will keep your dry spray off the freshly applied top coat. Do an overlap pattern of about 50% on each pass. I also apply a lighter start coat then go back over with a medium thick coat to get the top to flow out smooth. Don't paint in the sun and keep the material cool on a hot day. Some days outside with lower humidity are just too hot to paint.

You could also just go buy a decent spray gun that you can fill with Krylon clear from a pint can and thin out a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/Graco-Sharpe-Min ... B00QUX1PAK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIC2fuUAP4E

The spray gun will allow you to apply more paint quicker with a wider fan spray. If you to use a spray gun then moisture in the air line is another problem you need to eliminate.
Good luck with your projects!

Last edited by Bigdogbro1 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I bought a kit like this and added the small cup setup, very pleased with it and it cleans up fast then any other type gun watch the videos about it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Kit-More-Ti ... SwepJXUrRN
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

Yep that 3M Accuspray system looks like a real time saver for clean-up and changing colors. The airbrushing color change process is time consuming if you only have a few airbrushes. I'm in no rush anyways! Just a hobby for me. Summertime for me here is more motorcycling than plasma and paint. My son is the one really busy with all that stuff. I just do the few things I like. Enjoy!
clswans
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by clswans »

Bigdogbro1 wrote:I lay my projects flat as well when doing the clear top coat. when using a spray can on a larger area I find I have better results when I start at one side and spray the length with the can pointed on an angle of about 45 degrees to the surface. The spray is directed towards the area in which I will be covering and not pointed towards the area I have just coated. This will keep your dry spray off the freshly applied top coat. Do an overlap pattern of about 50% on each pass. I also apply a lighter start coat then go back over with a medium thick coat to get the top to flow out smooth. Don't paint in the sun and keep the material cool on a hot day. Some days outside with lower humidity are just too hot to paint.

You could also just go buy a decent spray gun that you can fill with Krylon clear from a pint can and thin out a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/Graco-Sharpe-Min ... B00QUX1PAK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIC2fuUAP4E

The spray gun will allow you to apply more paint quicker with a wider fan spray. If you to use a spray gun then moisture in the air line is another problem you need to eliminate.
Good luck with your projects!

Bigdogbro1,
Thank you for replying. I will give your suggestions a try. I also appreciate the links to the paint system. I think that may be my next big expenditure. I need to get away from aerosol paint cans if I ever want to improve the reliability of my paint finishes. Thanks again!
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

How far away are you spraying from the surface? I get similar results that you are seeing, but get satisfactory results by moving closer to the piece.
clswans
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by clswans »

I try to stay within about 6 to 8 inches of the surface.
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

If your paint is an ultra-fast dry and it's warm where you are spraying, I would try getting a little closer. Otherwise, I would guess you are getting overspray.

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”