Metal coloring. Alcohol inks. need help

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
mrosenow
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Metal coloring. Alcohol inks. need help

Post by mrosenow »

I have been rusting my art and just spray bombing stuff for years but now want to get more vibrant colors and start clear coating more. I see the Steel FX products but they look very expensive, especially when you are doing larger items. Is there a DIY way to make alcohol inks or a metal dye? I see some people using RIT fabric dye and isopropyl alcohol but it doesn't look like it works that great.

Any help?
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Metal coloring. Alcohol inks. need help

Post by sawdust1 »

I will ask my wife, she used her card-making alcohol inks on a couple of mothers day projects I made. They looked very vibrant, she was not sure how long term durable they were.

david
home built 4x4 watertable. Qcad, SheetCam and Linuxcnc
Miller 375 Cutmate
Lincoln buzz box and a Miller Mig
KNK MAXX vinyl cutter
The adventure started with a Cricut cutter that I hacked.
jakeg
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jakeg »

Fx patinas is a little expensive to start but they go a long ways once you learn how to use them. VeRyan easy to learn
ford_gt2005
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by ford_gt2005 »

Alcohol ink fades in the sun. Not good for out doors. Even with a automotive clear coat on them .
perry365
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by perry365 »

Gotta second what jakeg said. I bit the bullet and bought the Steel FX starter kit and my work looked so much better I found myself quickly ordering gallon jugs of the patinas I liked best. they do cover quite a bit of metal if used per directions, definitely takes your work to the next level.
handzon
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by handzon »

Have you tried any food coloring? Use the gel type for cake decorating apply with brush clean Part with alcohol or lacquer thinner. Clear coat with gloss enamel or powder coat clear. Very inexpensive compared to alternatives.

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”