How to get this finish

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
Johndeere87
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

How to get this finish

Post by Johndeere87 »

Have a customer wanting this type of finish on a piece. Kind of a rustic look but I have no idea how to do it where it stays like this.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: How to get this finish

Post by Capstone »

The piece you're presenting as the example looks like its just been exposed to various elements. Assuming it's sheet metal you'd be hard pressed to achieve that with anything but a few years of it just lying around and even then, you couldn't freeze the process. If it were me, I'd ask a lot of questions about this piece of the customer and how it got that way and then let him come to the conclusion that it's not likely to be recreated without the exact same conditions.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Check with Steel FX, I am sure he has some patina that will achieve the same effect. Then clear coat over it to preserve.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Cut it and let the water from the table splash it and just let it sit for a few days
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
lobsterlift
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by lobsterlift »

if its cold rolled material, you can make it look 100 years old in days....lay your part flat and level, wipe clean with acetone to remove and oils. get a hudson sprayer with a fine mist. use bleach in the sprayer.

obviously its bleach, so use in a appropriate location and with proper safety "stuff".

spray a light mist over your project. if its in the hot sun it will rust before your eyes.

if its fabbed from hot roll. you must remove the blue mill scale. i use muriatic acid. its great for dross removal also. then wash off and apply the bleach. test it on scrap metal to see the finish.

bleach will rust red brown. the more coats you apply the deeper and richer it becomes. if you want to turn the rust black, rinse off bleach dry, and apply CRC rust converter. your rust will be gray to black.

^^these are general ideas. you will need to experiment with it. BE CAREFUL WITH ACID, BLEACH, AND MIXING CHEMICALS.
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

I do all my letters just like lobsterlift suggests, works well. I then bake them in an oven at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, then turn off heat and let them sit for a day. I end up with a total rust over the metal. I then clear coat to prevent future rusting. The customers love it!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”