Heat Painting and clearcoat

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
knoeberm
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Heat Painting and clearcoat

Post by knoeberm »

Hi all -
I'm learning more and more everyday about this, and now I've got a problem I can't work out. I've done several pieces that I used die grinders to put brightwork on. I then baked then to color them or used a torch. The colors I can get are great, but . . . When I go to clearcoat everything, the colors change. This weekend, I had a piece that was a nice bright purple (what I was shooting for), but when I coated it, the color changed to a maroon. The coating was clear enamel. Will clear powdercoat keep this from happening, or am I just stuck with this?

Thanks,
Marvin
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Heat Painting and clearcoat

Post by plain ol Bill »

It has been my experience that any coating is going to change your colors to some extent. Your best bet is to color up some samples and try different combinations of sealers to get the one that is closest to your requirements. I have used Permalac and clear glossy powder coating both and they change colors but still give me the best results.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Heat Painting and clearcoat

Post by parrotlady »

Hi, if you check out The Metal Artist Forum, there is at least 300 posts on this subject. Generally speaking, all clearcoats will change the colour of torch patinaed metal. Permalac is one of the better ones, but it is super tough to keep it exact, especially on copper. Do check out that forum, as that subject has been beaten to death over there, and you may find some good pointers to get it as close as you can.

Cheers

April

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”