Need help what is best??? Polishing Steel

Learn and share abrasive & texturing finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
glw29
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Need help what is best??? Polishing Steel

Post by glw29 »

I am new to this... So I am wondering what everyone uses or if you can get your steel to look all polished with no swirl marks from the grinder? just polished looking. Also what is the best thing to put on a fire ring? Nothing? wont patinas and dyes just come off from the heat? thanks everyone.
Last edited by glw29 on Sat May 05, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Need help what is best???

Post by AnotherDano »

I keep all the worn out flapdisks for polishing. The older the better.

If something (like a fire ring) is going to get all burned off and rust anyway, why delay it with a coat of paint?
Let 'er get the process going by using some muritic acid and sell it as a feature.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
tmgnewport
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Need help what is best??? Polishing Steel

Post by tmgnewport »

Two questions first:

a. What tools do you have available to you?

b. What are you starting with (HR, CR, HRPO, stainless?)

Most of my polished stuff is stainless but it pretty much polishes the same as steel. If you are going for a mirror finish, it's a multi-step process unfortunately there's no magic wheel that does it all. We spend hours polishing parts and spend stupid amounts on sanding and polishing consumables because that's what the customer wants and they're willing to pay for it. It's just a matter of how far you want to take it.

Return to “Abrasive & Texturing”