Sand Blasting

Learn and share abrasive & texturing finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
SomethingMetal
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Sand Blasting

Post by SomethingMetal »

Is there anybody here that can give me some input on a good pressurized sandblasting tank? I have seen them range from $150-$1000. I mean what is the big difference between them? Holds blast media and lets it flow through my nozzle. Not sure what makes one tank better than another.
Samson 510
Hypertherm PM85
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Sand Blasting

Post by CNCCAJUN »

I'll tell you what little I know . . .

1st. Size - media holder size (tank)

2nd. Nozzle size must not be too big for your compressor. Check CFM requirements.

3rd. Method of flow - some are gravity / siphon fed & others are pressureized.

Also make sure it will handle all media types. silica sand, glass bead, metal shot, aluminum oxide, nut shell

Look at - http://www.tptools.com/d/12_Sandblasting-Cabinets.html. for cabinets.

Look at - http://www2.northerntool.com/abrasives- ... asters.htm for portable blasters.

Do not overlook safety . . . hood, respirator etc.

Unprotected sand blasting is far more dangerous for your health than smoking. . .

This would be my choice - http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... 744_138744

My 2 cents . . .
Steve in Louisiana
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by DARRYL21270 »

I have this and I love it. I use it almost every day and well worth the $1600 I paid for it.
970-sand-blast-cabinet_L.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

elwoood
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by elwoood »

If you are referring to the pressure pot there is almost no difference except for the hardware and hoses. All the cheap HB, Northern tool etc are all Chinese made. The very few pots made in USA are more money. I own 3 pots and have changed the gages,hoses and mixing valves on all of them over time. I use hydraulic hose, it is thicker and less prone to blow-outs. I up grade all the gages to better USA made ones. The single best upgrade is the mixing valve on the bottom. I use a valve made by PAB - Pickard Artistic Blasting in OK. The valve is much better than the stock one and prevents many plug-ups. They also make a great variable flow trigger style gun. You have infinite control over the blast rate. They also have a wide selection of high quality nozzles. None of this is cheap but what a difference it makes. I still do some etching on stone and mirrors and this is the set up I use. If you are blasting rust only the trigger gun is not needed but the mixing valve is worth it.
rwskinner
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by rwskinner »

That is what I thought as well then I broke down and bought a Texas Blaster. Much better quality and I never fight it, it just plain works and works good. I owned several of the others and there is no comparison. It does cost more, but worth every penny.

Richard

elwoood wrote:If you are referring to the pressure pot there is almost no difference except for the hardware and hoses. All the cheap HB, Northern tool etc are all Chinese made. The very few pots made in USA are more money. I own 3 pots and have changed the gages,hoses and mixing valves on all of them over time. I use hydraulic hose, it is thicker and less prone to blow-outs. I up grade all the gages to better USA made ones. The single best upgrade is the mixing valve on the bottom. I use a valve made by PAB - Pickard Artistic Blasting in OK. The valve is much better than the stock one and prevents many plug-ups. They also make a great variable flow trigger style gun. You have infinite control over the blast rate. They also have a wide selection of high quality nozzles. None of this is cheap but what a difference it makes. I still do some etching on stone and mirrors and this is the set up I use. If you are blasting rust only the trigger gun is not needed but the mixing valve is worth it.
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

I built my portable sandblaster from a 100lb propane tank. I cut the bottom out, put a fill hole in the center, inverted it and welded the bottom back in. Been using it for 30+ years.

Allen
harmonp
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by harmonp »

Some of the differences are whether or not the sandblast pot is ASME ceritified in its welds. If its not there is risk of a tank failing and causing harm. Additionally the valves you get with the pot may vary from a basic open closed valve to a valve that allows for complete control. The chart below Image and paste shows the air requirements for different nozzle sizes (remember sandblasting could require huge compressed air). If your looking at a basic blast cabinet typically your looking at a bit of a higher end cabinet as most are suction feed pressure feed cabinets cost more. If more information is helpful this guide on sandblast pots https://www.pittsburghsprayequip.com/20 ... ing-guide/may help.

Return to “Abrasive & Texturing”