anyone using a Stroke sander on plasma cut pieces

Learn and share abrasive & texturing finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
BBmetal
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

anyone using a Stroke sander on plasma cut pieces

Post by BBmetal »

Hi all, Was hoping someone here has had some experience using a stroke sander. I'm not a big fan of the gouges that I'm getting with a flap disc and I haven't had much luck using my hand held belt sander or random orbital. (sharp edges are killing the consumables) I've been looking into other solutions. Seems like a wide belt sander (timesaver) would be ideal. But the prices are out of my range for this hobby. I stumbled across a video showing a stroke sander. Seemed interesting. They are primarily used in woodworking but I don't see why it wouldn't work to put a nice brushed finish on metal. The use of a long platen would seem to help prevent the belt catching on sharp pieces. I've seen a few used ones but grizzly sells two models that are a whole lot cheaper than a wide belt sander. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Stroke- ... rizzly.com. Any input would be appreciated. I don't want to drop 1500 on a sander that only results in torn belts and frustration.
"If you can't find the time to do it right, When will you find the time to do it over?"

LDR Motion Systems 4X4 with scribe
Hypertherm 45
Millermatic 211
Wysong Model 100 Ironworker
Chinese 40" 3in1
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: anyone using a Stroke sander on plasma cut pieces

Post by sphurley »

www.machinerymax.com will have used ones from time to time.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX

Return to “Abrasive & Texturing”