Best life flap discs

Learn and share abrasive & texturing finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
dustywill
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Best life flap discs

Post by dustywill »

What have you guys found to have the best life in the 120 grit flap discs? I have tried some Nortons and lately have been using Norton Neons, but not entirely happy with life of them.
Precision Plasma 4x8 v-rail
C&CNC dragon cut 620
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Auburn, AL
www.facebook.com/decorativemetalworks
pertneer
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Best life flap discs

Post by pertneer »

I have always used Dewalt's flap discs myself so i can't offer any comparison, but I used to work in a fab shop years ago when they first come on the market and I am still impressed with their life.
4'x8' CNC Plasma w/Water Table Running a Powermax 65 :D
CandCNC, Mach3, SheetCam, Millwrite Plasma V6
buckable
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by buckable »

I have found everything Lehigh Valley Abrasives sells to be excellent. Was surprised to see the life I get out of my discs, and you have a choice between aluminum, zirconia, and ceramic discs, with choices within those categories. My only regret is not finding them years ago - I could have saved a bundle!

http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com/
Redneck
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Redneck »

I use Camel flap discs that I get from Enco. I think they are made in USA and are about $3 each if you buy a box of 10 or more.
1fine79
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by 1fine79 »

I grind a lot of Stainless and that will eat up a flap disc in quick fast hurry! I've gone thru many different brands and most are comparable in both price and quality. Lately I've been using discs from Benchmark Abrasives ( you can find them on ebay) and They have what they call "jumbo" discs. they are not any bigger, they just have about twice the number of layered flaps. I buy them in quantity and pay less than 2.00 each. they also have many grits to choose. they last a good long time, even compared to some of the 5-7 dollar discs I have used. look them up, you won't be disappointed...I know I haven't been.
Wayne
Torchmate 2 self-built 5x10 w/ SS water table AVHC New
Hypertherm PM65 New
Miller Spectrum 2050 hand torch
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Millermatic 212 w/ spoolgun
Lincoln SP-250
JD squared Model 32 hyd.bender
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Yet another useful thread of info for the new users of this great forum. Thanks
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

( you can find them on ebay)
Who is the seller on ebay? Search for Benchmark Abrasives results in nothing.

Thanks
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
1fine79
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by 1fine79 »

Dennis, here's a link to the ebay page. I did a search and went straight to it. make sure you are searching in business and industrial category I guess.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-4-5-x7-8-Pre ... 41507a67bf

this one is 10 discs for under 20.00. search out the "jumbo discs" also.
Wayne
Torchmate 2 self-built 5x10 w/ SS water table AVHC New
Hypertherm PM65 New
Miller Spectrum 2050 hand torch
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Millermatic 212 w/ spoolgun
Lincoln SP-250
JD squared Model 32 hyd.bender
BorstMetalWorks
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by BorstMetalWorks »

Try Walters on the small 4.5 to 6 in grinders. Not the cheapest but cut great and seem to last forever. My time is worth more than the cost of a flap wheel so even if something works faster but wears out quicker its worth it. I think they are called Norton speed strip on the 8in grinder. Real fast and remove minimal parent material. In the end its just whatever you like best.
96x120 BullTear (star labs) cnc table
Candcnc ether cut with dthc4
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Xmt 350 MPa
Miller XR-30a
Miller S-54d feeder
Millermatic 350p with XR-Alumapro
http://www.borstmetalworks.com
http://www.facebook.com/BorstMetalWorks

Thanks
solarbarack
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by solarbarack »

Another vote for camel. Do a search for camel grinding wheels. I'm in mass. But we get ours from a drill rig supply Co in Punxsutawney, pa. It's called ofs. Onsite field supply. Best price I've found.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I use the 7" x 5/8"-11 zirconia flap discs from Lehigh Valley Abrasives, as well as the smaller 4 1/2" and mini roloc from them also in zirconia. 40-120 grit, and they all work great. I think I pay around $5 for the large ones, a lot less for the mini roloc. They also carry carbide burrs, sandpaper, belts for my belt grinder, stones / wheels for grinders etc. I have yet to have any issues with anything they sell, and have always had great customer service.

My 2 cents worth.

Shane
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by steelfx »

BorstMetalWorks wrote:... In the end its just whatever you like best.
I agree with BorstMetalWorks...whatever brand, style, type & grit you find works best for you is the one to have!

I might add one thing I've noticed: The dual layer, (2X as many snippets), Type 27-Flat Works best & lasts the longest for me.
T27 (Type 27=Flat) vs. T29 (Type 29=Tapered)

I have not had good luck, both with finish & durability with the T29's. Have also noticed almost no difference in Zirconia vs. Alum. Oxide Grit when working on mild steel.

The (relatively) new "Trimmable Discs" seems to be a good concept, but, they're very expensive (about $8.00 ea. where I'm at) & I've had no luck trimming them down without grenading them. I should look for a video on the proper way to re-size or trim the disc! :lol:

I think it's more of a gimmick than practical, as the smaller diameter and circumference will increase RPM's beyond Red-Line and wear down the exposed grit even faster than normal.

The single best thing I have EVER found for Flap-Disc Longevity is a Variable Speed Angle Grinder.

Full speed (on a single speed angle-grinder) is "balls out" and not really necessary for flap-discing. Mine is a Metabo®, but I'm sure there are other less expensive ones out there. The Makita Grinders I use are lighter, better balanced & more user-friendly than the Metabo, IMHO.

I'm using my ROLOC® discs and Angled Die-Grinder a lot more lately, too. Mostly with 320-Grit (3") for some fine detail work. Gotta have an angled die-grinder though...it would be nearly impossible to use the ROLOC backing pad & abrasives on a straight die-grinder. Mine is a 45-degree angled head. Requires a pretty good-sized compressor though. They're Air Hungry.

Just My 2 Cents...

Thanks!

Bill
MIFab
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by MIFab »

Best ever Metabo but i have an older one with speed control! I use these http://www.bullardabrasives.com/product ... flap-discs
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

I use Lehigh Valley abrasives disks and am very happy. They are cheap and seem to last quite a while.
Thor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thor »

Try some of these Walter Enduro Flex. Been using them for years. They are made to shave the plastic wheel down a couple times to extend the life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxVGsaHr-mc
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

Where does the Walter Enduro Flex discs run price wise in comparison to other discs?

Allen
Thor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thor »

sr guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by sr guy »

I second the Lehigh valley abrasives good quality and great pricing. I wish they would start selling Hypertherm consumables. :lol:
LDR 4x8 w scribe :D
Miller syncrowave 250
Hobart ironman 230
Baliegh tn 250
Bantam 12 ton 48"
JD2 model 32
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

I have been using the Bench Mark brand flap disc that Wayne posted the Ebay link to. Under $2 each and work great. I think they work just as well as the Dewalt that I had been using and less than half the price.
Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
timberfab
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by timberfab »

gary42095
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by gary42095 »

i too have been using lehigh valley for a couple years. just recently switched to roarksupply.com. they have a bunch of made in america lines (camel-cgw) as well as some good german stuff. prices are on par or better than lehigh. and quite honestly, last time i bought from lehigh i had to wait 3-5 weeks for the ship to come in. not sure about everyone else , i keep a dozen or so of 40 ,60,80,120 grit flap wheels, dozen or so grinding wheels and a few dozen cut off wheels. also a bunch of roloc scotchbrite disks and sandpaper disks, and sand paper cones too...... so i order a ton of crap at once. hate waiting for stuff on the slow boat from china, and personally would rather buy american if budget allows
gary42095
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by gary42095 »

just ordered some 300and 600 grit flap disks made by cgw cant wait to try them out and see how they finish the artsy stuff
War Hammer
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by War Hammer »

We use Walter Enduro-flex. They are a little on the pricey side but we have tried several others and they seem to last the longest.
destroyer000
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by destroyer000 »

ive been using empire abrasives, black hawk flap wheels. work great! like benchmark they are cheap as well and work well for what you pay. ive used them on stainless and steel and iam very pleased with the results.
jshan82
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jshan82 »

CGW seems to work good for me.

Return to “Abrasive & Texturing”