Powder Coat Over Paper?

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
scharesmetalworks
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Powder Coat Over Paper?

Post by scharesmetalworks »

The subject line probably made you say, "What the @#$%"! I recently cut out some purses, which I submitted for all to use. I wanted to bling them out to be purse like and came across some snake skin paper used in scrap booking. My plan is to cut the purse shape out and glue it to my steel. I then what to clear coat it. I would like to powder coat it as I really want a thick coat on it. Do you think the paper will hold up in the 400 degrees? Will the clear coat still come up clear? Any thoughts/ideas appreciated. Thanks, Corinne
Corinne
elvenhome21
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Powder Coat Over Paper?

Post by elvenhome21 »

Not a chance. The adhesive on the paper wont stick at that temp, and its border line on charring the paper. You would be better off gluing the paper to the piece and using something like laminate paper to seal it and give it the shiny clear coating.
Bonzi Metalworks
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Powder Coat Over Paper?

Post by Gamelord »

Powder coat is very thin, usually under 5 mil thick. If you are wanting a thick clear coating then you may want to look into some varathane spray coatings from Rust-oleum or for super thick, look into epoxy bar top coatings. They are primarily made for wood, but should work fine on steel too.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD

Return to “Powder Coat”