Powder Coating set-up

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Powder Coating set-up

Post by FiveORacing »

I've decided I want to set up my own operation, booth, oven, blast cabinet etc. Has anyone bought a package from anyone and had a good experience? Looking for some shopping suggestions. :D
stray cat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Powder Coating set-up

Post by stray cat »

check out http://powdercoatovens.com I work there part time and have a booth, oven and gun from them.
Streetwerkz
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Streetwerkz »

powderbuythepound.com
powder365.com

both good resources for parts, knowledge, supplies
Joshua Robinson
www.Streetwerkz.com
DISCONNECTED
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DISCONNECTED »

Check out tedsfabrication.com.If you buy everything gun,oven and blast cabinet plan on spending a decent buck.I built a small oven,have a good blast cabinet and a cheap gun from caswell.There is definetly more to powder coating than spraying powder, sticking a part in the oven and having excellent results.I would definetly recommend buying a good quality gun.I would if I had the money.Make sure you have a dedicated space for powder coating,just like you would for a spray paint booth if you want good results.Remember powder coating is health hazard,wear a respirator and have proper ventilation.Both when applying powder and curing it.It is your health at risk.Check out the forums on caswell.com
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by FiveORacing »

lingbeek designs wrote:check out http://powdercoatovens.com I work there part time and have a booth, oven and gun from them.

Thanks for the link. looks like they have what I'm looking for. We'll see if the prices are right. :D
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by FiveORacing »

Ted's looks good too. I'm about 2 hours from his shop. :D
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

FiveORacing wrote:Ted's looks good too. I'm about 2 hours from his shop. :D
Ted has a good reputation and a loyal customer base.
There is usually a reason for stats like that. He's earned it.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by FiveORacing »

For those of you that PC, do you really need a window and light in a small oven (3 x 3)? The only guy I know personally that does has large ovens and neither has lights or windows. :)

Please fill me in...

Then again, maybe I'll build my own :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql-MFcScE3c
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

FiveORacing wrote:For those of you that PC, do you really need a window and light in a small oven (3 x 3)? The only guy I know personally that does has large ovens and neither has lights or windows. :)

Please fill me in...

Then again, maybe I'll build my own :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql-MFcScE3c
In my opinion, no on the glass window but yes for a 'speakeasy' solid window/door through which the PMT can be measured. Keeping the big door closed and still be able to shoot a temp with an IR gun is essential.

A light in the oven is a good idea. Make it switchable and only turn it on when needed, like looking for the part that slipped off the rack and hit the floor. :o
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

Michman wrote:Sorry a bit off topic...but does powdercoating cut down on scratches? I'm tired of doing shows and having my stuff scratched with no idea how.
Most of the mirror/shiny finishes will show scratches from handling. Ask any Harley owner - especially Black!
I take special care when packing pieces between shows, wrapping each one in bubble wrap. Even the Matte finishes will show wear if rubbed together enough going down the roads in a box.

PC is tough but nothing is bullet proof.

Also, I used to display as many pieces as I had for sale. Customers seem to think that their choice to buy ONE could only be made after man-handling ALL. I guess they see the colors with their fingers... On display will be the colors that are most immune to being handled/shopworn. With powder coated pieces, the heavy textures and Veins are on the table and the others are in a box under it. If asked if other colors are available, a set of color coupons is offered. When they show signs of being serious, the item is produced for them to handle.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by FiveORacing »

Okay: For you fabricators out there. I need to make a rack for an oven, Approx size is 4 x 4.5 ft x 6 h. My plan is to make box shaped racks with some plasma cut gussets for strenghth and an expanded metal top plate. I bought 4 inch oven casters for them rated at 300lbs each.

Need suggestions for the material to use? Angle or square tube, and what size? :) Maybe someone has a picture or plan? I know, I know, there are PC sites out there, I just haven't signed up for one yet and I know there is a wealth of knowledge here.
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

The weight rating is only part of the equation. Consider the heat they will be taking and also the lubrication that they will need and the contamination that may occur when that lube gasses off.

Many of the coaters have made a trolly that the rack will roll on from a spray booth to the oven. Then the rack rolls off into the oven from the trolly. That leaves you with 'shop tires' for easy rolling in the shop and 'oven wheels' that can take the heat.

Also consider using metal that has as many 'hooking points' in it as possible. You cant have too many!
With your ability to make gussets, you are off to a good start. i.25" perforated angle should be fine for the outer frame with a center hanging bar that will be able to carry the weight of the heaviest piece you envision coating. A set of four 22" steel wheels, perhaps?

For the frame, plan on making some adjustable crossbars (with lots of holes) to handle that multi-piece order that will eventually come alone. How would you hang a set of fifty pieces for one curing cycle?

Don't forget to allow for the frame to clear the elements, which should be shielded with sheet metal. Infrared heat is direct from the piece to the part and will overbake parts really fast!
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by FiveORacing »

Thanks Dano. The wheels are heat rated to 600degrees and made for baking, The shop I'm setting up is not condusive to a trolley, so racks are the way I need to go. The oven is gas 48 x 54 x 72 but I'm not sure if I should make the racks a few inches under the L and W so I'm not banging the walls when I roll the cart in. I was thinking of heavy expanded metal on the top and perhaps another set of side bars so I could lay in another expanded metal shelf halfway. Just wasn't sure of the material to use to make the frame. I was originally thinking of 1.25 square tubing, but I'm not sure if that's overkill. I have a tendency to overbuild things.... :?
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

FiveORacing wrote:Thanks Dano. The wheels are heat rated to 600degrees and made for baking, The shop I'm setting up is not condusive to a trolley, so racks are the way I need to go. The oven is gas 48 x 54 x 72 but I'm not sure if I should make the racks a few inches under the L and W so I'm not banging the walls when I roll the cart in. I was thinking of heavy expanded metal on the top and perhaps another set of side bars so I could lay in another expanded metal shelf halfway. Just wasn't sure of the material to use to make the frame. I was originally thinking of 1.25 square tubing, but I'm not sure if that's overkill. I have a tendency to overbuild things.... :?
I should go swipe some pics from another board for ya. 8-)

The trolly is just a frame with the same footprint as the rack, if that helps. But it sounds like you've got that situation well in hand. Gas solves the IR problem too.

I think that 1" MAY be overkill for the frame, with your gussets. But would be good for the heavyweight loads that could be hung from a center beam. As for the expanded metal to hang from, make a practice run. Get some hooks and a small piece of the EM and practice hooking and unhooking a bunch of parts - envision them coated in powder. Count the number of times they get the imaginary powder bumped off of them. In theory it great. In practice, well,,, don't ask me how I know.

It sounds like you don't really need advice, just reassurance. I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Looking forward to pictures!
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Vern2
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Vern2 »

What about "Rustic" no paint needed. Lawn art, only way to go. Hay, I don't know! :roll:
I like the name "Rustic" (antique sounding). Sounds more expencive then powder coat (paint).
Vern
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by FiveORacing »

Vern2 wrote:What about "Rustic" no paint needed. Lawn art, only way to go. Hay, I don't know! :roll:
I like the name "Rustic" (antique sounding). Sounds more expencive then powder coat (paint).
Vern

Yeah, I have that color, but it'll cost extra :roll:
Copp3r
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Copp3r »

This may be a wee bit on the late side... Your original post was asking about where to buy an oven from. I made my own and I'm nothing special when it comes to creating stuff.
In short, I used some oven elements, had an electrical box made for me and slapped together some metal studs, sheets of metal and voila. The other little bit of interest is I made it flush to the shop floor. It took about a day to make. And yes, it's insulated to help retain the heat.

The pic attached is just prior to mounting the electrical box on the outside by the window.

As for powder, I've been buying from Eastwood (bought my dual stage gun there) and I also get powder from Powder by the Pound.

As for the oven, It works GREAT !

Copp3r / Roger

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Metal Lee

Post by Metal Lee »

Hey Thanks for the post, what did you use for the metal?
Copp3r wrote:This may be a wee bit on the late side... Your original post was asking about where to buy an oven from. I made my own and I'm nothing special when it comes to creating stuff.
In short, I used some oven elements, had an electrical box made for me and slapped together some metal studs, sheets of metal and voila. The other little bit of interest is I made it flush to the shop floor. It took about a day to make. And yes, it's insulated to help retain the heat.

The pic attached is just prior to mounting the electrical box on the outside by the window.

As for powder, I've been buying from Eastwood (bought my dual stage gun there) and I also get powder from Powder by the Pound.

As for the oven, It works GREAT !

Copp3r / Roger
Thanks, Metal Lee
Keep the sparks out of your boots!
kdahep
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kdahep »

Depending on how much powder of one color needed, I go to Dupont, Tiger Drylac,ect. You need to check if there are open boxes of the color you are looking for. This will save you from either paying a premium for small amounts and will save you from buying 55 pound boxes. You will find you can purchase powder for as little as $4.00 a pound

kdahep
lilb93
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by lilb93 »

For anyone getting into powder coating. First you have to have something to clean and sandblast the part. A 100lb pressure pot is about 2500.00 used. A used 160CFM compressor is about 3000.00 used. Air cooler for taking the water out of the airsuply from the 160CFM compressor about 2000.00. A quality sandblast hood and breathing filter with the Cooler for the summer and a heater for the winter months about 1700.00. A sandblast cabinet is about 1000.00. A high pressure part cleaning cabinet after you sandblast the part is about 3000.00 used. A quality gun 1000.00 A small oven 4X4X6 2500.00 a larger Oven for Atv frames 6X6X10 5500.00. Racks for hanging the parts with high temperature wheels for rolling in and out of the oven about 500.00.. Do not forget the electrial supply for a small oven you will need 60 to 80 AMP 220 Throw switches. For the bigger oven you will need 125Amp Switch. You will need a spray booth with a good filter systen or everything in you shop will be the color your shooting. About 1500.00. Then comes the colors. They do not last forever. Get what you think you will use.
We got into it using a cheap gun from eastwood and a converted home oven, WHAT a mistake. If you want to do quality work you need quality equipment. Remember garbage in garbage out. If an item is scratched or was rusted and has pock marks no powder coating system in the world will fix that. If you have a perfect part it will come out a perfect job.

There are people who will have other thoughts on it, and say you don't need all that stuff. In a why they are right, if it is something you want to play with go cheap. If you want to resell it do it right from the start, once you get a bad name it cannot ever be fixed.

Thats my 2 cents about it.
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by FiveORacing »

I ended up buying out an existing shop and all of the equipment. Not the route I had initially intended but it worked out. The oven is an older gas Industrial oven but it works well. I got an Empire Blaster and huge air 25hp compressor with a seperate dryer and cooler, a Binks booth with 3 layers of filters etc and a Nordson gun. It's all about 10-15 years old but I ended up paying about 20% of the costs new as the guy really wanted out bad.

It's working out as I am able to powdercoat all my plasma stuff, and I powdercoat car and cycle parts to pay the bills. :D

Like the old saying "Nothing Ventured................nothing ventured." :roll:

Return to “Powder Coat”