Powder Coat Gun?

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
nevetskrats
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Powder Coat Gun?

Post by nevetskrats »

Good afternoon, I am about to start powder coating my metal art projects because my local powder is way to high on his prices and rattle can just doesn't hold up. I want to spray textured powders mostly and can't decide on the gun. Would the red line EZ 50 be good? Or do I need to get a gun with a fluidizer?
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powder Coat Gun?

Post by motoguy »

My first gun was an Eastwood Dual Voltage gun. It works very well. Reading all the praise of the EZ50, I purchased one of those as well. It's been a disappointment. It can "puke" powder, but I think that's just an inherent issue in cup guns...can't really fault the EZ specifically for that one. However, I cannot get it to put down good multi-coats. My Eastwood gun actually does that better.

After the disappointment of the EZ, I purchased a COLO 181 box feed system. It applies powder like magic, but there's a lot of cleanup/waste with the box feed system, for the small color shots I typically do. I'm currently experimenting with a cup gun attachment for it.

I just purchased my 2nd Eastwood Dual voltage gun as well...it should be here on Saturday. I'm going to leave 1 Eastwood out in the shop with the Colo, and have the 2nd Eastwood in the basement, where I can shoot stainless tumblers with it.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

I use nothing but the Eastwood dual voltage and its been great. My brother and I powdercoat thousands of things a year (he has one also) and they have not let us down.
WyoGreen

Post by WyoGreen »

I'm using a Nitro Faze cup gun from Powder 365. It works very well for everything I do, and the cups are not that expensive, I have around a dozen cups with the more popular colors I use in them. When I need a different color than whats in the gun, I unscrew the cup on it, blow out the gun, and screw on a different cup/color. I have a backup gun, which I seem to remember being the EZ 50, but other than ensuring it works, I have never used it. I picked up the two guns, oven, booth, and various powders from an estate sale a few years ago.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
nevetskrats
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by nevetskrats »

Thanks for the feedback! I have heard so many good things about the eastwood dual voltage gun, I should probably check it out before committing to something pricier. Do you shot a lot of textured finishes? Was the finish pretty consistent?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

This is the one I bought works fine mine is 120 Volts AC :lol:
http://www.caswellplating.com/caswell-p ... -plug.html
Here is a textured power job I did coated all metal parts on that project.
DSCN2452.JPG
DSCN2451.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

nevetskrats wrote:Thanks for the feedback! I have heard so many good things about the eastwood dual voltage gun, I should probably check it out before committing to something pricier. Do you shot a lot of textured finishes? Was the finish pretty consistent?
I use the textured black most of the time from Eastwood and LOVE it!
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

michmetalman wrote:
nevetskrats wrote:Thanks for the feedback! I have heard so many good things about the eastwood dual voltage gun, I should probably check it out before committing to something pricier. Do you shot a lot of textured finishes? Was the finish pretty consistent?
I use the textured black most of the time from Eastwood and LOVE it! I know it was on sale recently for $99 I think, not sure if it still is.
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

michmetalman wrote:
michmetalman wrote:
I use the textured black most of the time from Eastwood and LOVE it! I know the dual gun was on sale recently for $99 I think, not sure if it still is.

Return to “Powder Coat”