Spraying Chrome

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
chips2853
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Spraying Chrome

Post by chips2853 »

So I need anyone's tricks and tips on this. I usually steer away from using chrome unless its a base coat for a candy color, but I have quite a few people wanting just regular chrome. My issue is, when I have personally sprayed it I havent added a clear and it usually leads to discoloration. And when I have my employee spray it with a clear, it usually dulls it down so much. We use prismatic ultra chrome with prismatic clear vision high gloss top coat. I have had him try heavy and light top coats alike. But the results are usually the same. The only thing I can really think of to try is to put the chrome on, and before it fully cures, spray the clear and put it back in the oven. Any one have tips to get the really shiny finish with the clear? Or other ideas? I wish prismatic didn't discontinue polished aluminum to be honest.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Spraying Chrome

Post by motoguy »

It's my understanding that chrome must be fully cured on it's own before applying any top coat (candy, clear, etc). It's also my understanding that under-curing will lead to the more dull-gray look, vs a bright chrome.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
Unvevo
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Spraying Chrome

Post by Unvevo »

For prismatic powders super Chrome they suggest cooking it up to 450 degrees until fully cured for the highest reflectivity. If you try to clear over it and it becomes gray or dull that means the bottom was not cured.

Return to “Powder Coat”