Coats of powder needed on outdoor items

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
thefoundrymetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Coats of powder needed on outdoor items

Post by thefoundrymetal »

Hi all,

We are doing a 16 foot gate for a customer and I am wondering how many coats of powder most folks would use? We are having this done out of house and have been shopping around for prices. One gig does sandblast, zinc prime and one coat of powder. The other place does blast, prime, and two coats of powder plus wrapping and paletting for shipping, but they are significantly more expensive. Of course I want to be cost effective so I'm leaning towards the cheap guy, but I want to be sure that they are doing a good enough job. So it's pretty much riding on one coat or two right now. What do you all think?
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Coats of powder needed on outdoor items

Post by Gamelord »

I would lean towards the first one that Sandblasts, Zinc Prims and coats. Normally if done right you only need one coat of powder and the Zinc will help a ton with durability. That is the best way to do it. If the second doesn't zinc coat or acid wash then I would be hesitant. The real cost would be in wrapping, boxing and palleting for shipping. This can be a pain and can run up in costs on those large items.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Coats of powder needed on outdoor items

Post by islander261 »

Hi

Some powders require a clear coat for outdoor or two color applications. I have a series of parts that we make over 500 a year of that is deep bright red (95%) and is really eye popping. If you leave this part outside for two months in the sun without a second clear coat (UV protection) it turns titty pink. Now this powder is from one of the the leading national suppliers (definitely an OEM). I don't apply this myself, I leave it to the professionals. Just a thought when comparing apples to oranges.

John

Return to “Powder Coat”