Removing powder coat finish

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Removing powder coat finish

Post by sawdust1 »

i learned something yesterday, gloss shows dents really badly. I made a split monogram and it warped a bit from the grinding on the back side. No problem, a few well placed whacks with a hammer and it flattened right out. Acid wash for the mill scale, sandblast and ink black coating. It looks like it was in a hail storm!

My plan is to remove the coat with a tiger torch, sandblast again to get the ash off and wash again. This time I will use Flatter Black as the dents should not show with a no gloss finish.

Any one have any opinions? This is a gift so the coating color / finish is not of any consequence.

David
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Removing powder coat finish

Post by acourtjester »

Try using a large head plastic hammer not a metal one, that give a larger contact area and does not produce dents that a metal hammer does..
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

A local powdercoater has a chemical that easily removes from small parts? do not know what it is but he did say its expensive.
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
comeoutswingin
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by comeoutswingin »

If the piece is not extremely time consuming to make, just make another you will be ahead. Trust me, I've done the same thing. Powdercoat can be REALLY time consuming to remove.
5x10 LDR
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

I got out the torch and was amazed at how durable and heat resistant that coating is! Yes it took a lot of time to burn it all off, and it warped. So I got to beat it flat again. I think that simply cutting another one would have not taken that much longer. I recall cooking the coating off once in the barbque with out the warp. I did not want to mess up the barbque again. Thank you all for the tips and tricks I will go look at those links.
Amazing how solid a finish that stuff is.
david
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

I got out the torch and was amazed at how durable and heat resistant that coating is! Yes it took a lot of time to burn it all off, and it warped. So I got to beat it flat again. I think that simply cutting another one would have not taken that much longer. I recall cooking the coating off once in the barbque with out the warp. I did not want to mess up the barbque again. Thank you all for the tips and tricks I will go look at those links.
Amazing how solid a finish that stuff is.

If I need to do that again I would try simply putting another coat right on top.They might not be crosslinked but it might not matter, a light scuff and it would likely bond on fairly tightly.
david
Redneck
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Redneck »

You can get a powdercoating stripper chemical called B17 from Columbia Coatings, and others. This works great if you do choose to strip it. But I agree with Comeoutswinging....... you will generally be ahead to make a new piece unless it is really big or complicated.
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

I've removed powdercoating with carburetor cleaner. Sprayed it on...came right off.

Allen
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

In a commercial environment where we buy a lot of powdercoating, If it goes wrong, the only solution is to send it back to be burnt off in the ovens under high heat then sandblasted back to raw metal. This usually costs way more than the original coating... We have spent $800 on the removal process...
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Not once for me has removing powdercoating to fix a ruined piece been the best way to go, both in time and money. I have always just re-cut the item.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

Education is expensive in time and money.... I will recut the letter later today. I got this far I am going to hang a flat coat on it just to see what happens. I could not get it perfectly unwarped anfter the heating so I will not be giving it to her. I did consider beating the hell out of it to give a wrought iron look and then just clear coating it.
David
MustangMat
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MustangMat »

http://solventkleene.com/Dzolve1012.htm

We use the to remove powder ofd plugs an small parts in an ultrasonic tank
Unvevo
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Unvevo »

I powder coat yeti tumblers and usually have to strip old or powdercoat I screwed up. I use O'Reilly's airplane stripper in the rattle can. Sprayed on liberally and then let sit for about 20 minutes. It should peel off like a loose skin. Any powder left over can be cleaned up with a Scotch-Brite pad, steel wool or a plastic scraper.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Unvevo wrote:I powder coat yeti tumblers and usually have to strip old or powdercoat I screwed up. I use O'Reilly's airplane stripper in the rattle can. Sprayed on liberally and then let sit for about 20 minutes. It should peel off like a loose skin. Any powder left over can be cleaned up with a Scotch-Brite pad, steel wool or a plastic scraper.
How much labor do you have in stripping a cup? I've wondered about this when I see people mention it. A $60 an hour labor rate is a dollar a minute. If you spend 8 to 10 minutes stripping a cup, you're just as well off pitching that one and coating a new cup, and you don't have to worry about nasty chemicals on a foodware item.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

I also do cups and of course other stuff up to what will fit in my 8x8x10 oven.

Smaller stuff I have stripper from Powder Buy The Pound. To answer your question, I have a 5 gallon bucket of it, can put in half dozen cups and let them soak 10 minutes while I'm doing other stuff. Pull them out and wash it off with a hose, dry them in the oven and recoat.
Unvevo

Post by Unvevo »

motoguy wrote:
Unvevo wrote:I powder coat yeti tumblers and usually have to strip old or powdercoat I screwed up. I use O'Reilly's airplane stripper in the rattle can. Sprayed on liberally and then let sit for about 20 minutes. It should peel off like a loose skin. Any powder left over can be cleaned up with a Scotch-Brite pad, steel wool or a plastic scraper.
How much labor do you have in stripping a cup? I've wondered about this when I see people mention it. A $60 an hour labor rate is a dollar a minute. If you spend 8 to 10 minutes stripping a cup, you're just as well off pitching that one and coating a new cup, and you don't have to worry about nasty chemicals on a foodware item.
If it's an Ozark Trail I usually don't mess with it. When I strip it, it is on a Yeti. I usually spray it and then walk away. So it's not like I spend 10 minute staring at it lol. But I am definitely under charging for it.

I forgot to mention I always clean it with lacquer thinner afterwards. Then throw it in the oven to gas out any chemicals before the powdercoat goes on
KOI
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by KOI »

B17 works great.20 minutes and its ready to prep..

Return to “Powder Coat”