Refrigerator spray foam removal

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Refrigerator spray foam removal

Post by Nacs Fab »

I am getting ready to build a powdercoat oven and we stripped out an old upright refrigerator and found it has spray foam on the inside. I read somewhere on a smoker forum that some of these foams have a 750°F temperature range and they said to leave it in place, but I want to be sure before I go through the hassle. If I need to remove it, any clue how you remove this stuff easily? I guess I could always just use this one as my paint booth, then get another for the oven.
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Refrigerator spray foam removal

Post by acourtjester »

heat a metal rod to 500 degree and touch the foam if it melts down use it. I would not think refer foam would be high temp :o
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

Air chisel comes to mind. Large wide scraper blade, and go to town. I would think it would be messy, but if you had an unsuspecting soul to drag into the fray, they could stand by with the shop vac as you were peeling it off to catch all the little crumbs and bs that would be generated.

Large flat saw, like the ones used for trim cutting? Like a pull saw, really thin, easy to pull through, should cut the foam easy enough.

Take it outside and burn it off??

I do agree with the above, I wouldn't think reefer insulation would be rated to high temp use. I am sure it is somewhat flame retardant, especially if it was a UL listed appliance, but most of the oven insulation looks like fiberglass. Now, really high temp stuff is kaowool blanket, I use that and some refractory on my forge. I bet it would make it cheap to keep your powder coat oven up to temp, but you would need to be using the piss out of it to justify the cost otherwise it wouldn't pay for itself very quick.
Shane
james.davis
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by james.davis »

Acourjester is right, go to your welding supply store get a temp stick for the temperature you want. Heat the rod up to that temperature using the temp stick to check it. then check the foam with the rod. If you haven't used a temp stick before they can tell you how at the welding store.
(markal 86868 temperature indicator,700 deg. f) Here's one I found on line.
Jim
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

The majority of it will scrape out easily but what your left with can be a beast. I would suggest trying several chemicals on it to see if they melt it. Acetone and lacquer thinner are a couple that come to mind. I once used Gasoline on some spray in foam and it worked really well, DANGEROUS but it worked. Please don't try my DUMB ASS method. LOL
Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
devo1976
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by devo1976 »

Hi guys im new to the forum and im in the same situation as Nacs Fab. Im wondering if you left the foam in on this project. I did order the heat rod as James Davis indicated, it just hasn't came in yet. I would hate to go through of ripping this stuff out cause it does seem to be glued to the metal sheeting on the upright freezer i have. If anyone has any new information on this please let me know, or if you ended up with the answer on this Nac Fab i sure would appreciate it. Thanks guys, Devo.

Return to “Powder Coat”