Fire Pit Finishes

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
SSLLC
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Fire Pit Finishes

Post by SSLLC »

Ok group, I have a customer who has a pretty large budget to build a custom fire pit for. I am trying to sell him on a all stainless version but need to quote it a couple different ways in case it can't be sold stainless. This is pretty open thread I would just like to hear what the best solutions to get a really durable paint solution would be. I have tried ceramic in that past which is pretty expensive and honestly was not impressed. This may not actually belong in the powder coating board but it seems to fit to a extent. Like I said, I have a really good budget as in almost completely open on price range. :D What have you all found to work the best? Please include sites to purchase such paints... THANKS AHEAD OF TIME.
HaasMetalDesigns
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Fire Pit Finishes

Post by HaasMetalDesigns »

I always use bbq spray paint on my fire pit with powder coat will not last with fire
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Same here, never found a powder yet that will withstand the heat. BBQ paint seems to work fine and is cheap.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

Has anyone see BBQ paint that comes in colors besides black?
HaasMetalDesigns
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by HaasMetalDesigns »

I seen it in silver and also clear
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

Just google high temp paint colors. I know rustoleum makes at least 8 maybe 10 colors, there are also several brands that are advertised for painting exhaust headers etc that should stand up. I have seen them at the auto parts stores, I even remember seeing one that was advertised as looking like stainless steel when it was cured.

I use one of two methods on my pits, as well as things like outdoor fireplace doors etc. Either high temp paint (you can get 3-4 years out of it IF you prep the metal right, and the customer doesn't over fire the pit) or, I will rust it with vinegar ONCE, light spray, then spray peanut oil or olive oil over it. This stops the rust and gives it a nice dark looking patina. Downside to this is you have to reapply after you use it a few times, or it will rust when it gets wet.

The paint will start to chalk up after being in the sun for awhile, depends on where you are as far as how long, but it's easy to touch up and not too pricey.

Shane
sr guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by sr guy »

Check out KBS coatings high temp. Rated for 500 to 1200 range.
LDR 4x8 w scribe :D
Miller syncrowave 250
Hobart ironman 230
Baliegh tn 250
Bantam 12 ton 48"
JD2 model 32
gsi
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by gsi »

I know this is an older post but I figured I'd still put this info in it for someone searching. I've had a firepit hi temp ceramic coated. It's the same thing they use on race car headers. So far it's held up really well. It's probably 6 months old. So far it has stayed on and not turned any sort of off colors.
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

What was the price to ceramic coat?

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

I have been using DuPont VHT paint. It is rated at 2000 degrees and comes in black, silver red and orange. I purchase it at Advance Auto parts for $8.50 per can. It may be offered in more colors but that's all my local store stocks. Works very well, haven't had any to peal yet. Hope this helps.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Miaamelia
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Miaamelia »

SSLLC wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:46 pm Ok group, I have a customer who has a pretty large budget to build a custom fire pit table accessories for. I am trying to sell him on a all stainless version but need to quote it a couple different ways in case it can't be sold stainless. This is pretty open thread I would just like to hear what the best solutions to get a really durable paint solution would be. I have tried ceramic in that past which is pretty expensive and honestly was not impressed. This may not actually belong in the powder coating board but it seems to fit to a extent. Like I said, I have a really good budget as in almost completely open on price range. :D What have you all found to work the best? Please include sites to purchase such paints... THANKS AHEAD OF TIME.
I have a fire pit built into my brick patio and I'm considering doing a whole hog (suckling) cook on it sometime soon. I think the interior circumference is about 36-42" and height is probably 24". I'm looking for recommendations on a an adjustable rotisserie system/kit that would work here but not break the bank. I know Spit Jack makes good kits but their cheapest is around $300 and Amazon has few under $200 but they look like junk. Any thoughts here?
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

Miaamelia wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:26 pm
SSLLC wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:46 pm Ok group, I have a customer who has a pretty large budget to build a custom fire pit table accessories for. I am trying to sell him on a all stainless version but need to quote it a couple different ways in case it can't be sold stainless. This is pretty open thread I would just like to hear what the best solutions to get a really durable paint solution would be. I have tried ceramic in that past which is pretty expensive and honestly was not impressed. This may not actually belong in the powder coating board but it seems to fit to a extent. Like I said, I have a really good budget as in almost completely open on price range. :D What have you all found to work the best? Please include sites to purchase such paints... THANKS AHEAD OF TIME.
I have a fire pit built into my brick patio and I'm considering doing a whole hog (suckling) cook on it sometime soon. I think the interior circumference is about 36-42" and height is probably 24". I'm looking for recommendations on a an adjustable rotisserie system/kit that would work here but not break the bank. I know Spit Jack makes good kits but their cheapest is around $300 and Amazon has few under $200 but they look like junk. Any thoughts here?
Haven't bought one yet but was looking at it and noticed it had decent reviews and for under $100 you can't really go wrong as it would be a great starting point even if something did go wrong you have a good base to work with

Return to “Powder Coat”